Pitt increases win streak to four games

By Sergei Feldman

The Pitt softball team entered the Magic City Classic this weekend riding a two-game winning… The Pitt softball team entered the Magic City Classic this weekend riding a two-game winning streak at the Texas A’amp;M Corpus Christi tournament. The team hoped to return home with a six-game winning streak, but settled for four, as inclement weather led to the cancellation of the tournament’s final two games against the University of Alabama-Birmingham and Michigan State. ‘ Victories over Samford University and Alabama State to start the UAB Tournament improved Pitt’s record to 6-6 on the year. The Panthers’ next action comes in the George Washington Invitational in Washington with two games against both the host school and Army starting March 7. Then they will travel to play Charlotte for a double-header before moving to Rock Hill, S.C. for the Winthrop Invitational to end spring-break play. ‘ Pitt 7, Samford 1 A six-run, second-inning explosion propelled Pitt to a 7-1 victory over Samford University to start the Magic City Classic. ‘ Pitt’s back-to-back doubles resulted in the game’s first two runs. Sophomore Alicia Broudy and freshman Lauren Davis led the initial surge. Scoring the runs were freshmen Sara Falotico and Keli Gaynor. ‘ Immediately following, sophomore Reba Tutt earned her team-leading second triple of the season to knock in two runs, sending Broudy and Davis home. ‘ If that onslaught was not enough, senior Samantha Card’s triple to right field moments later surely was. A passed ball allowed Card to score the final run of the inning. The 6-0 lead proved insurmountable. ‘ Samford got on the board in the fifth inning off a Pitt error, but the three hits resulted in only the lone run. ‘ Pitt tallied the game’s final run in the sixth inning. ‘ Sophomore Cory Berliner improved to 2-3 on the year after pitching the complete game, allowing four hits and a run. ‘ Pitt 5, Alabama State 2 ‘ The Magic City Classic’s second battle for Pitt proved more difficult and called for resiliency, as Pitt rallied from a 2-0 deficit to defeat Alabama State, 5-2. ‘ A couple of errors by the Panthers gave Alabama State its two runs in the first and third innings, respectively. The come-from-behind victory started in the fourth inning, as three hits knocked in two runs to tie the game at 2-2. Card’s double to center sent Tutt home to get Pitt on the board. A two-out single by freshman Ciera Damon sent Card home moments later. Davis’ sacrifice ground ball proved to be the game-winner, knocking in Gaynor’s go-ahead run. Both Tutt and Card finished 2-for-4, leading Pitt to victory. Sophomore pitcher Alyssa O’Connell gave up three hits and struck out five, improving her record this season to 3-0.