Editorial: Celebrate Jon Stewart, but continue his legacy

By The Pitt News Editorial Board

After 16 years, Jon Stewart is stepping down as host of Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” the nightly program that uses satire to hold media and politicians accountable while entertaining the usually unconcerned citizen. 

As we say our goodbyes, we should celebrate duo comedians/newscasters such as Stewart and Stephen Colbert, who signed off of “The Colbert Report” in December, for their achievements in informing young people of national and global affairs. With that said, we must emulate Colbert and Stewart’s example and continue our awareness and activeness in world affairs. 

Public figures like Stewart have helped to keep even the most apathetic college students informed and bring about positive social change. Perhaps one of his greatest achievements as host of “The Daily Show” was putting pressure on Congress to pass the James L. Zadroga 9/11 Health & Compensation Act in 2010. The bill pledged federal funds for the healthcare of Sept. 11 responders, and President Obama signed it into law on Jan. 2, 2011.

A large percentage of “The Daily Show” and “The Colbert Report’s” 2.5 million and 1.9 million total views, respectively, came from our generation. A 2012 Pew Research poll found that the 18-29 year-old demographic constituted about 40 percent of each program’s viewership. So, with Colbert gone and Stewart on his way out, young people may wonder where they will find their humorous, biting interpretations of news coverage. We say, use Colbert and Stewart’s exit as a reason to become more informed than ever.

As responsible citizens, we cannot neglect the importance of forming an educated electorate. Satirists such as Stewart and Colbert are brilliant entertainers, but they should not be the only news source upon which one relies. 

Regardless of age or political affiliation, we urge that every citizen open their eyes, read newspapers, listen to broadcasts, understand biases and simply learn what’s going on in the world around them. Colbert and Stewart have taught us to look deeper into issues of the day. They showed us how to question our leaders, while also supporting and respecting them. And of course, they have showed us never to take ourselves, and those with whom we may disagree, too seriously.

While the 2016 election will surely be less entertaining without Stewart and Colbert’s clever and witty commentary, we must carry on their legacy by remaining informed, staying active and holding media and politicians accountable in our own right. Stewart’s time on the show may be wrapping up, but his legacy will live on in how we continue to critically approach current affairs. It is now our turn to make the most of our world and strive for fairness and accountability from our media and leaders, while cracking a few jokes, too.

He’s done his part — now let’s do ours.