Cavanaugh officially joins Jets as quarterbacks coach

By Mike Gladysz

‘ ‘ ‘ The New York Jets announced on Monday the hiring of Matt Cavanaugh, who served as… ‘ ‘ ‘ The New York Jets announced on Monday the hiring of Matt Cavanaugh, who served as offensive coordinator for the Pitt football team during the last four seasons. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Cavanaugh, who helped lead a turnaround in Pitt’s offense last season but was heavily criticized for his play-calling after the Panthers’ 3-0 loss to Oregon State in the Sun Bowl, will work as the quarterbacks coach for the Jets. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said after the season ended that he didn’t plan on making any major changes to his coaching staff, but said later that he wouldn’t be surprised if an NFL team had an interest bringing Cavanaugh in. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Cavanaugh, who quarterbacked the 1976 Pitt national championship team, played 14 seasons in the NFL before turning to coaching. He coached for 11 years in the NFL and earned a Super Bowl ring as offensive coordinator with the Baltimore Ravens during the 2000 season. ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ There is no obvious choice for a replacement, and Wannstedt will likely interview several candidates ‘mdash; both inside and outside the program ‘mdash; before making a decision.