McCoy’s decision on future expected today

By Mike Gladysz

Pitt star tailback LeSean McCoy is expected to inform coach Dave Wannstedt today of his decision… Pitt star tailback LeSean McCoy is expected to inform coach Dave Wannstedt today of his decision to either stay in school for another year or enter the 2009 NFL Draft. McCoy said after Pitt’s win over West Virginia ‘- along with several other times throughout the year ‘- that he planned to return for his junior season. Wannstedt also said last Monday that he expected to have McCoy back. But two family members of McCoy told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Thursday that the sophomore was leaning toward entering the Draft. McCoy, 20, met with Wannstedt on Friday for about 90 minutes and discussed the two options. McCoy then said he and his family would talk it over this weekend and make a decision. A major factor for McCoy might be the possibility of an injury that could drop his Draft stock or put his career in jeopardy. In high school, McCoy lost interest from some programs after a fractured leg ended his senior year. McCoy would have some things going for him if he does leave for the draft. He’s been rated several times as a late first-round or early second-round selection, and two or more tailbacks have been selected in the first round of the Draft every year since 1999.Even if McCoy dropped to the second round, he might expect a contract like the one Baltimore’s Ray Rice earned last year, which, with the signing bonus included, was worth about $4 million over four years. If McCoy was to return for another year, he’d likely become the No. 1 running back in the country and could have a chance at being the first back selected in the 2010 Draft. Connecticut’s Donald Brown, Alabama’s Glen Coffee, Wisconsin’s P.J. Hill, Ohio State’s Chris Wells, Georgia’s Knowshon Moreno and Iowa’s Shonn Greene ‘mdash; all underclassmen tailbacks ‘mdash; have already entered the Draft.