Dixon receives honor

By Zack Chakan

The same week Pitt men’s basketball program is ranked No. 1 overall for the first time in… The same week Pitt men’s basketball program is ranked No. 1 overall for the first time in history, its coach earned a personal recognition as well. Jamie Dixon was named the midseason winner of the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year Award yesterday. The award is named for Jim Phelan, a former coach of Mount St. Mary’s. In 49 years of coaching, Phelan amassed 830 victories, good for fourth all-time. The award is handed out at the Final Four at the end of the season and is voted on by coaches, media and administrators. Dixon’s Panthers are 14-0 and perfect in two Big East contests thus far. Pitt leapt into the top spot of the national polls after North Carolina and Connecticut lost for the first time this season last week. ‘Jamie is a very deserving winner,’ said Phelan in a statement. ‘Every season, his teams have been among the best in the Big East, and this season is no exception. The Panthers are a confident, strong and well-coached team.’ Dixon received six of a possible 18 first-place votes for the midseason award, and his 56 total points topped second-place finisher Tubby Smith of Minnesota by 22. Dixon’s career record now stands at 146-40 heading into Sunday’s home contest against St. John’s at noon.