Penn State’s perfect season smashed, WVU falls

By Mike Gladysz

Joe Paterno’s dream of a third national title just couldn’t survive past Saturday. Iowa kicker… Joe Paterno’s dream of a third national title just couldn’t survive past Saturday. Iowa kicker Daniel Murray knocked through a 31-yard field goal with one second left, and the Hawkeyes secured a come-from-behind upset of No. 3 Penn State, 24-23, crushing its national title hopes for good. There were talks among college football experts about Paterno, who is now in his 43rd year of coaching, missing out on a national championship game even if the team did go undefeated. Penn State trailed Alabama and Texas Tech in the BCS rankings heading into Saturday and had been left out of the championship game in the past even after going undefeated. But this game silenced those talks, forcing the Nittany Lions back four spots in the Top 25 to No. 7. Penn State will now focus its eyes on the Big 10 title and a berth to the Rose Bowl, which it can secure by winning the rest of its games. Iowa tailback Shonn Greene rushed for 117 yards and two touchdowns. The junior ran for 147 yards and a touchdown in a loss to Pitt Sept. 20. Big East bash With its win over Louisville, Pitt jumped from No. 25 to No. 21, making it the highest-ranked team in the Big East. Cincinnati, which upset West Virginia at home in overtime Saturday night, jumped to No. 22, while the Mountaineers dropped out of the Top 25. West Virginia was undefeated in the Big East before its matchup with Cincinnati and now sits in a three-way tie for first with Pitt and the Bearcats. Pitt can secure the Big East title with wins over Cincinnati and West Virginia in its next two games.