Big East foes highlight tough women’s schedule

By Zack Chakan

The Pitt women’s basketball team resumes its quest to return to the Sweet 16 Nov. 5, as its… The Pitt women’s basketball team resumes its quest to return to the Sweet 16 Nov. 5, as its 2008-09 schedule was announced Monday. Coach Agnus Berenato’s squad won its first two NCAA tournament games in the franchise’s history last season, before falling to Stanford in the round of 16, 72-53. The Panthers finished last season with a 24-11 record, going 10-6 in the Big East. That score tied for fifth in the conference. Pitt begins the season Nov. 5 in an exhibition contest against the Ohio Legends at the Petersen Events Center. Another exhibition game, against the Premier Players, arrives in Pittsburgh Nov. 11. The real meat of the schedule begins Nov. 16, in Baton Rouge, La. Pitt will square off against Texas A’amp;M, a possible preseason top-10 candidate, in the State Farm Tipoff Classic. Pitt’s non-conference schedule features a few high-profile teams. Maryland, which also lost to Stanford in last year’s NCAA tournament, visits the Petersen Events Center Dec. 7. That loss was in the Spokane regional final, and the Terrapins could be a top-10 club as well. Cross-state rival Penn State also travels to Pittsburgh this year. Pitt’s first defeat last year came at the hands of the Nittany Lions, and look to exact revenge Nov. 24. The Panthers will head to Gainesville, Fla. to take on Florida Dec. 21. The Petersen Events Center will host the Pitt Thanksgiving Tournament Nov. 28-29. Pitt will play Elon and either Weber State or Youngstown State. Pitt’s powerful Big East schedule opens Jan. 4, at home against rival West Virginia. The Mountaineers are the only conference opponent the Panthers play twice, both home and away. The road contest is set for Feb. 24. Pitt’s toughest portion of the season arrives with February. Notre Dame, which finished last year ranked No. 13, visits Pittsburgh Feb. 3. Then, the Panthers must go on the road to face the Big East’s perennial powerhouses Rutgers and Connecticut. The Rutgers game will be played Feb. 10, while the Connecticut showdown takes place Feb. 15. The Big East Championship in Hartford, Conn., begins March 6 and runs through March 10. NCAA tournament play opens March 21. Check page 18 for the full women’s basketball schedule.