Bush is America’s own “dark knight”

By Josh Green

In case you hadn’t heard, Oliver Stone will be releasing a film called ‘W’ in October…. In case you hadn’t heard, Oliver Stone will be releasing a film called ‘W’ in October. Pronounced ‘dubya,’ this film will detail the events of our current president’s life leading up to his eight-year stay in the White House. Based on the teaser trailer, it looks like an interesting film. Dubya will fist fight with his father, get drunk in bars and chase hot chicks.

And surely the fact that the film is set for an October release, a month before the election, is meant to have some political impact. Stone probably wants to remind people what we ended up with in 2000 and what we dealt with for eight years before we step into the voting booth.

It is questionable whether or not this film will do well. Will people ignore it or flock to it?

In my opinion, the odds are not stacked in Stone’s favor. Is he not aware that an epic Bush biopic has already been released during the summer?

‘The Dark Knight’ was clearly a film meant to explore the heroism of George W. Bush and his decisions in fighting terrorism. This has already been confirmed by two very important sources: The Wall Street Journal and Rush Limbaugh.

It can be hard to see the parallels between the Batman universe and the Bush universe. Let me draw out the similarities. Warning: If you haven’t seen ‘The Dark Knight’ yet, then there is something wrong with you.

First, there is Batman. The hero. A watchful protector. He knows that the right decision will surely cause most of Gotham City to hate him. However, he is the hero that Gotham deserves, not the one Gotham needs. This is a parallel of Bush, because Bush knows that no matter how many people say the conflict in Iraq was a poor policy decision, it was the right choice.

Plus — and I can’t be sure about this — it is quite possible that Bush wears a cape while sitting in the Oval Office.

Next is another obvious one. The Joker is clearly Bin Laden or a representation of all terrorism. His goal is to get Gotham — the United States — into frenzy and hopefully cause the city to erupt in chaos. He probably hates Gotham’s freedom.

Harvey Dent is a fresh face in Gotham. The people love him and trust him to do what is right. He is expected to bring about ‘change’ in Gotham society. He even uses a coin — change, if you will — in making his decisions. What public figure currently uses change as the basis for his decisions?

If Sen. Barack Obama made it into the newest Batman film, surely Sen. John McCain did as well. But who could he be? McCain is a wisecracking old man who essentially does whatever Batman tells him to do. He doesn’t always agree with Batman, but he’ll go along with most of what he has to say.

I guess that means McCain is Alfred.

And what about Lucius Fox? He is a nice old man who verbalizes a moral objection to Batman when he wants to unethically spy on all of Gotham City using their telephones. He explains that it is too much power for one man. He says it is wrong.

But he just goes along with it anyway, even though he threatened to quit. This makes Lucius Fox a representation of Congress.

This basically eliminates a need for another Bush movie. However, for every similarity, there is a difference. I guess it could be said that the filmmakers took ‘creative liberties’ when adapting Bush into a superhero.

The biggest difference between ‘The Dark Knight’ and real life is that Batman actually catches the terrorist. Batman doesn’t get distracted by another villain in his hunt for the Joker. Batman believes in Harvey Dent.

Another difference lies in Batman’s only rule. Batman will not, under any circumstances, take a life. He will never kill anyone, and the Joker tries to get him to do it throughout the whole film. If only that were Bush’s only rule.

Batman also does the fighting himself.

There is another difference, and to me this is the most important one. Commentators and writers can draw as many parallels as they want between Bush and Batman. The fact is that pretty much any movie can be stretched into some warped perception of something in reality, no matter how much of a stretch that is. This is why the last difference is the most upsetting, it has the most impact, and it’s the one that makes all the difference.

‘The Dark Knight’ is a movie. Bush’s presidency is real life.

Any other movie characters based on Bush? E-mail them to Josh at [email protected].