Coaching changes keep Pitt looking forward

By Mike Gladysz

Resignations, promotions and new hires headlined the past few months for the Pittsburgh… Resignations, promotions and new hires headlined the past few months for the Pittsburgh athletic community, keeping Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson without much of a break in his first summer back with the Panthers.

The men’s and women’s basketball teams, along with the football, volleyball, swimming and wrestling teams, all saw coaching and administration changes after their prospective seasons came to an end. And in an ever-changing world of college athletics, it seems to be nothing new.

Women’s basketball coach Agnus Berenato knows this as well as anyone.

Berenato, who came to Pitt in 2003 after coaching Georgia Tech, said there are all types of situations that can push coaches away or reel them into a certain program. Still, she said it’s sometimes hard to immediately move on, and it’s always easiest to hire someone familiar with the program.

The coaching changes began with a revamping of the Pitt football coaching staff. Paul Rhoads, who coached at Pitt for eight years, left his post as Pitt’s defensive coordinator for the same position at Auburn.

Replacing Rhoads at the position was Southern Methodist University’s Phil Bennett, who brought along linebacking coach Joe Tumpkin to fill the void left by Charlie Partridge, who left for Wisconsin.

Pitt also fired offensive line coach Paul Dunn, replacing him with Tony Wise, an ex-NFL coach and long-time colleague of Pitt head coach Dave Wannstedt.

Pitt offensive lineman Robb Houser said the change in terminology is one of the biggest things to adapt to when there’s a coaching change. But Wise said that after a few weeks of practice, ‘things begin to become more comfortable.’

‘We’re coming along now,’ said Wise during Pitt football’s media day on Aug. 4.

Along with the football team, the men’s basketball coaching changes were considerable.

Former assistant Orlando Antigua jumped ship for Memphis University, coached by ex-Pitt assistant coach John Calipari.

Brandin Knight, who starred at Pitt from 1999-2003 and last year served as director of basketball operations, was promoted to replace Antigua. Brian Regan, who served as Pitt’s video coordinator last year, was promoted to replace Knight.

Newly hired women’s volleyball coach Toby Rens, who coached Long Island University for the past four years, took over for Chris Beerman, who resigned from the position May 14 to pursue other coaching opportunities.

‘It’s an opportunity to compete at a high level, which was very appealing to me,’ said Rens.

‘But going to a new place is obviously a change, and it’s something you have to adapt to.’