Pirates vote for Pedro in 2008

By Zack Chakan

One year after a widely deadpanned decision on draft day, the Pittsburgh Pirates’ choice was… One year after a widely deadpanned decision on draft day, the Pittsburgh Pirates’ choice was much easier this year.

Thanks to owning baseball’s second-worst record last season, Pittsburgh earned the second selection in the June 6 Major League Baseball draft and chose Vanderbilt third baseman Pedro Alvarez.

Despite being the second pick, Alvarez was heralded as possibly the most talented player in this year’s pool.

But the 6-foot-2, 212-pound junior broke his hamate bone in his right hand this year, limiting his overall production but still finishing with good numbers.

Alvarez hit .317 this season at Vanderbilt with nine home runs and 30 RBIs. His career statistics are strong as well with a total of 49 home runs in three seasons and an average of .349.

He is known to be one of the most major league-ready prospects in the draft and could find his way to Pittsburgh by the end of next year.

If he signs, that is.

Alvarez is represented by super-agent Scott Boras, famous for his excessive contract demands for free agents and draftees alike.

Alvarez is expected to fetch at least a $7 million signing bonus.

Pirates’ management has stated that money will not be an issue when making draft decisions this year, which was a blaring accusation after last year’s debacle.

Pittsburgh held the fourth selection last season and chose Clemson left-handed pitcher Danny Moskos.

Moskos was a top prospect, and some projections had him going as high as seventh or eighth. But former general manager Dave Littlefield grabbed him fourth.

Public and critical backlash ensued. Georgia Tech catcher Matt Wieters was drafted behind Moskos with the fifth pick. Those same prognosticators believed Wieters was one of the best hitters in the draft.

There would be no controversy this time. The Pirates had been targeting Alvarez for weeks, knowing he would likely be available because Tampa Bay had narrowed its choices to high school infielder Tim Beckham and Florida State catcher Buster Posey.

Pittsburgh liked Beckham as well, but once Tampa Bay chose him first overall, Alvarez became an official Pirate.

General manager Neal Huntingdon’s first draft has been widely acclaimed for potential talent and risk taking, attributes his predecessor Littlefield rarely attempted.

Second-round pick Tanner Scheppers exemplifies this change in direction.

Scheppers, a right-handed starting pitcher out of Fresno State, has been clocked as high as 99 mph with his fastball and usually sits in the mid-90s. Multiple draft projections had him as a top-10 selection.

But an injury flared up in Scheppers’ right arm, which has been diagnosed as either a torn labrum or a stress fracture in the shoulder.

If Scheppers is healthy or returns healthy with the same pitching repertoire, Pittsburgh might have a steal on its hands.

Still, because of the injury and his status as a top talent, Scheppers will also require a hefty signing bonus to become a Bucco.

Answering an obvious lack of talent at the position, the Pirates drafted three shortstops with their first seven picks, including one in the third and fourth rounds.

Oklahoma State’s Jordy Mercer was Pittsburgh’s third choice. He hit 14 home runs last year and projects to stay at the position with some power potential.

Chase D’Arnaud from Pepperdine is also a nice hitter but will probably have to be moved to second or third base at some point in the minors. D’Arnaud was Pittsburgh’s fourth-round pick.

The Pirates chose Scheppers’ teammate and fellow staff member Justin Wilson in the fifth round. The lefty starter pitched seven innings and gave up two runs in Sunday’s upset over Rice in Fresno State’s opening game of the College World Series.

Another high-risk selection came in the sixth round. Pittsburgh chose high school outfielder Robbie Grossman from Texas, another player projected to go in the first two rounds.

Grossman has a commitment to the University of Texas and will require a steep bonus to lure him away from the college ranks. He is regarded as a great athlete with superb tools.

Huntingdon practically ventured to the North Pole for talent in the later rounds. Well, sort of.

Chris Aure was drafted in the 15th round from North Pole High School in Alaska. Many prognosticators rank Aure as the best prospect from Alaska since 1999.

Other top high school talents drafted in the later rounds because of contract concerns include Wesley Freeman, a 16th-round pick, pitcher Quinton Miller from the 20th round and third baseman Zach Wilson from the 26th round.