Indiana to hire Marquette’s Tom Crean

By Pitt News Staff

Indiana will hire former Marquette coach Tom Crean, ESPN.com and the Associated Press reported… Indiana will hire former Marquette coach Tom Crean, ESPN.com and the Associated Press reported yesterday.

Crean, 42, coached Marquette, a Big East rival of Pitt’s, for nine seasons, guiding the Golden Eagles to five NCAA Tournament berths and a Final Four appearance. Crean was 190-96 at Marquette.

Marquette joined the Big East for the 2005-2006 season. The Golden Eagles were 31-19 in Big East regular-season play under Crean. They were 3-3 in the Big East tournament.

Crean takes over at Indiana for interim coach Dan Dakich. Dakich, a former Bowling Green coach, coached Indiana for seven games. The Hoosiers were 3-4 under Dakich, including an 86-72 loss against Arkansas in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Dakich replaced Kelvin Sampson, Indiana’s coach for nearly two years. Sampson left Indiana amidst alleged recruiting violations. Sampson had been previously in trouble for recruiting violations when he coached at Oklahoma and earlier in his time at Indiana. Elsewhere

– Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton resigned yesterday. Sutton coached the Cowboys for two seasons. They were 39-29 under Sutton.

Oklahoma State was 13-19 in the Big 12 with Sutton as its coach. Sutton’s father, Eddie Sutton, coached the Cowboys for 16 seasons before the younger Sutton replaced him.

– Arizona coach Lute Olson announced yesterday that assistant coach Kevin O’Neill would not return.