GAME POINTS: Pitt vs. Syracuse

By MIKE GLADYSZ

Who: Pitt (3-5) vs. Syracuse (2-6) When: Saturday, noon Where: Heinz… Who: Pitt (3-5) vs. Syracuse (2-6) When: Saturday, noon Where: Heinz Field TV: ESPN Regional, WTAE-TV Radio: 94.5 (WWSW-FM), 92.1 (WPTS-FM), Fox Sports Radio 970 (WBGG-AM), Pitt ISP Sports Network, SIRIUS Satellite Radio channel 123.

After a devastating loss on the road to Louisville last week, Pitt hopes to pull out a win against a Syracuse team that notched its second win of the season against Buffalo last time out.

This will be the 63rd meeting between the two teams.

The home team has held the advantage in this series, as Pitt has gone 17-11 at home and Syracuse has gone 17-12-3 at home.

LaRod Stephens-Howling rushed for 221 yards and a touchdown against Syracuse last year in a 21-11 victory for the Panthers.

Pitt linebacker Scott McKillop continues to be a force in the middle, ranking first in the Big East and fifth in the NCAA with 12 tackles per game. He also ranks second in the NCAA in solo tackles per game (7.63).

Freshman stud LeSean McCoy ranks second in the Big East with 115.6 rushing yards per game and third in average scoring with 8.2 points per game. It will take McCoy just 75 more yards to become Pitt’s only player to reach 1,000 yards rushing since Kevan Barlow did it seven years ago. It would also make him the first freshman to do it since Curvin Richards in 1988.

Syracuse is 2-8 in its last 10 conference games and 1-9 in its last 10 games on grass.

The Panthers and the Orange both have records of 3-7 in their last 10 November games.

Syracuse has compiled just 588 yards rushing on the season, while Pitt has run for 1,229.

Junior placekicker Conor Lee continues with his record of most consecutive extra points made by a Panther, converting all 68 attempts in his young career.