Men’s soccer ends season with a win

By ZACK CHAKAN

The Pitt men’s soccer team couldn’t find its groove throughout the regular season, losing… The Pitt men’s soccer team couldn’t find its groove throughout the regular season, losing after poor starts and disheartening finishes.

But had the campaign continued past Saturday, the Panthers may have gained an opportunity to build some momentum after their first Big East win.

Pitt outlasted Marquette 2-1 in double overtime Saturday night at Milwaukee, thanks to a memorable goal from freshman Justin Boehm.

The victory ended the Panthers’ season with a record of 3-13-2 overall and 1-9-1 in the Big East. Saturday’s result leapfrogged Pitt past Marquette and out of the Big East cellar.

Marquette was certainly no pushover, though. The contest was the fourth straight for the Golden Eagles that went into overtime, including a close loss to No. 1 Connecticut and draw with West Virginia.

But Pitt was determined to break its losing ways, and it did so in dramatic fashion after falling in similar situations during the season.

“It was a good way to end it,” Pitt coach Joe Luxbacher said. “The guys played a good, solid game.

“It was a step in the right direction.”

The match began ominously, with Marquette notching the initial goal.

The Golden Eagles’ Mike Carlson hurled a throw-in in the direction of midfielder Scott Miller. From only a few yards away, Miller placed a backward header past Pitt goalkeeper Jordan Marks for the early advantage in the 20th minute.

Pitt had struggled to come back after falling behind early in matches all year, but its offense stepped up to eliminate the issue and tie the game.

In the 36th minute, Matt Langton found E. J. McCormick in front of the Marquette net. The junior forward tallied his fourth goal of the year with his shot that beat a Marquette defender.

McCormick’s four goals led Pitt for the season. He had a drought spanning almost two months since his last goal – Sept. 4 against Robert Morris.

Luxbacher decided to change goalies at halftime, bringing in Eric Barnes to replace Marks. This was a predetermined measure, because Luxbacher wanted both of his keepers to get action in the season finale. Marks had three saves in the first half.

The second half came and went without much action. Barnes tallied a save in the half, but was not challenged much because of tight Pitt defense.

Likewise, the first overtime failed to yield a goal, and it looked as though Pitt’s season was destined to end with a tie. But Pitt’s hard work finally paid off.

With less than three minutes left in the second overtime, Marquette goalie Steve Purdy cleared the ball out of the box, but it landed right at Boehm. Boehm took a shot from 45 yards out and it landed in the net behind Purdy before he could get back in his position.

The goal was the second for Boehm in his freshman campaign.

Although the season was a rough one for Luxbacher and his team, Pitt only loses four seniors, and the young players gained a lot of experience to prepare for 2008.

Luxbacher was proud of the effort from the Panthers on Saturday.

“The game was similar to a lot of our other games,” he said. “We found a way to win this one.”