Editorial: Small education measures go far

By The Pitt News Editorial Board

Today, we have a difficult problem that we could solve with simple planning and programs. 

We need effective education measures that bridge the opportunity gap between low and high income students. Unfortunately, a poor child has a nine percent chance of getting a college degree, while a high-income child has a 54 percent chance, according to a Jan. 17 article in The New York Times. For these teens entering the next chapter of schooling, small “nudges” and simple education measures are not only efficient but also cost-effective.

Take professors Benjamin L. Castleman of the University of Virginia and Lindsay C. Page of our own University of Pittsburgh. While graduate students at Harvard, the two created an automated, personalized text message system that reminded high school students about important college deadlines. The Times article mentions that in Summer 2012, students in Massachusetts who received the texts from Castleman and Page’s program enrolled in college at a rate of 70 percent, compared to 63 percent among those who did not — a substantial difference in education numbers.

How much did this effective program cost? Seven dollars per student. We think it’s safe to say the success of underprivileged students is worth $7.

Now, educators and citizens should continue to implement similar, simple programs, thereby giving a helpful prod to students who could potentially fall through the educational cracks. These measures must act as a supplement, however, rather than a substitute for personal coaching and encouragement. 

The volunteerism of private organizations and generous individuals who help within the schools is invaluable to student growth and development. For those who lack the stable and supportive home life of their peers, classroom volunteers can guide students and keep them on track in their education.

So, pairing the “nudges” of small programs such as Castleman and Page’s automatic text system with continued on the ground volunteerism can allow underprivileged students to achieve success in their education. Contrary to massive programs such as Common Core, these pragmatic measures have proven to be both successful and cost-effective. And that sounds like a good deal to us. Let’s keep it up and remember that bigger isn’t always better.