Pitt looks for rebound win against ‘Cuse

By EVAN BURGOS

When the Panthers left Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium last week in Louisville, Ky., freshman… When the Panthers left Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium last week in Louisville, Ky., freshman running back LeSean McCoy tried to leave the locker room in his uniform and pads.

He was too distraught to think about changing. And if it weren’t for his coaches, he would have boarded the plane in the same fashion.

Coming off a tough loss and a fumble on the goal line when Pitt could have tied Louisville, McCoy will have a shot to redeem himself when Pitt (3-5, 1-2 Big East) hosts Big East foe Syracuse (2-6, 1-2 Big East) at Heinz Field this weekend.

In a game of Big East bottom-feeders, the two squads renew a rivalry that goes back 91 years. Syracuse leads the all-time series 30-29.

The Orange are coming off a win against out-of-conference opponent Buffalo last week, but they haven’t won a Big East contest since September. That victory came in a stunning 38-35 triumph over Louisville, the team’s only conference win of the year.

Pitt hasn’t faired much better in conference play, with its sole win coming against then-No. 23 Cincinnati on homecoming weekend.

The Panthers should come into the game with much needed confidence. Pitt hasn’t lost a game to the Orange since 2002, including a comfortable 22-11 win at the Carrier Dome last year.

Coach Dave Wannstedt said the team will continue to do what is does best – run the ball. Even with an average of 153.6 rush yards per game, however, Wannstedt knows his Panthers will have to be successful through the air as well.

“We have to make more plays in the passing game,” Wannstedt said. “We need to make smart plays in the passing game.”

The majority of that responsibility will fall on the shoulders of quarterback Pat Bostick, who, despite some physical immaturity, Wannstedt touted as well equipped between the ears.

“Mentally, he’s farther long than any freshman quarterback in the country,” Wannstedt said. “He’s incredible.”

On the ground McCoy will continue to carry the ball as he runs towards Pitt’s all-time record for touchdowns scored by a freshman runner. McCoy goes into the game with 10 scores, two behind Hall-of-Famer Tony Dorsett’s record of 12, which he attained in his All-American 1973 season.

McCoy is second in the Big East in rushing yards per game (115.6) only behind Rutgers’ Ray Rice (142.6). The freshman is also in pursuit of 1,000 yards on the ground this season, sitting at 925.

Bostick’s counterpart, Syracuse quarterback Andrew Robinson, will be Pitt’s main concern on the defensive side of the ball.

As a sophomore Robinson doesn’t have much experience, but is a dangerous scrambler with a strong arm. Last week the Panthers faced one of the nation’s top quarterbacks, Brian Brohm, who isn’t much of a runner. Robinson’s athleticism will force the Panthers to switch up their approach.

Against Brohm, Pitt relied on the four-man rush, allowing it to stay safe in its coverage scheme. Against Robinson, with whom Syracuse runs the option, it may be a different story.

“He’s a dangerous guy on his feet,” Wannstedt said. “We’re going to have to do a good job of pressuring him.”

Robinson has tossed 10 touchdowns this season with six interceptions. All but one of those scores has gone to Syracuse’s two starting wide receivers – senior Taj Smith has three touchdowns, and sophomore Mike Williams has six.

“Probably the strength of their offense right now are those two wide outs,” Wannstedt said.

“We have to make sure that we don’t put ourselves in a bad position and give up any big plays.”

With Pitt’s last three games of the year coming against tough opponents in South Florida, Rutgers and West Virginia, a conference win at home against a beatable Syracuse team would be key.

Wannstedt says his team won’t look passed this week’s opponent, though. He also said he believes his team hasn’t played to its full potential. Any progress, though, appears to rely on the team’s young stars.

“I still don’t think we have played as good as we can,” he said. “A lot will have to do with some of those young kids getting better in a hurry.”