McCoy nears record marks

By MIKE GLADYSZ

After a long list of injuries and a stretch of four straight losses, the Panthers have… After a long list of injuries and a stretch of four straight losses, the Panthers have turned to a freshman.

And luckily for them, that freshman has brought in some light.

LeSean McCoy continues to be the story of the year for Pitt, dazzling opponents with an electric running style that combines stellar quickness and agility with toughness and strength.

McCoy earned the Big East Offensive Player of the Week award last week by rushing for 140 yards and a touchdown against Syracuse in a 20-17 win at Heinz Field.

A Harrisburg native, McCoy ranks second in the Big-East with 118.3 rushing yards per game and is the first Pitt freshman to reach 1,000 yards since Curvin Richards in 1988.

McCoy has three games left to finish off a stellar, record-setting year. If he can compile three more touchdowns and 197 more rushing yards, he’ll break Pitt’s freshman record of 13 scores in a year set by Tony Dorsett in 1973, and the Big East’s freshman rushing record of 1,261 yards set by Rutgers’ Terrell Willis in 1993.

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said he’s happy with the production and effort he’s getting this year from his star back.

“He’s an exciting player,” Wannstedt said. “He works extremely hard in practice.”

And now well rested from a bye week, McCoy and the Panthers (4-5, 2-2 Big East) have a chance to gain momentum when they travel to Piscataway to face the Rutgers Scarlet Knights and the Big East’s leading rusher – Ray Rice.

Winning out no easy matter

If Pitt has any chance of making a bowl game this year, it needs to win the rest of its games.

With matchups against South Florida and West Virginia left after this weekend, it won’t be easy. After winning two of their last three, though, the Panthers are feeling strong.

“We’re confident enough that our football team believes we can beat anybody,” Wannstedt said.

Wannstedt added that despite the confidence, his team is focusing only on the task at hand and isn’t talking about anything past Saturday.

“We have to try to find a way to beat Rutgers,” he said. “We’re looking forward to this game, we really are.”

Bostick sticks in lineup

Freshman Pat Bostick will make his sixth consecutive start under center on Saturday after replacing redshirt freshman Kevan Smith against Virginia in Week 5. Junior Bill Stull, the opening-day starter who sustained a thumb injury in the first game of the season, is getting healthier each week and could be available to play again soon.

If he is healthy enough to play, the quarterback situation could get a little complicated. Although Stull was almost a lock to be the full-time starter for the Panthers throughout the year, his injury paved the way for Bostick, and Bostick is rapidly improving. Against Syracuse, Bostick went 21 for 30 with 153 yards and a touchdown.

His confidence level and pocket presence are progressing each week, and the coaches are starting to give him the opportunity to throw the ball down field. With Bostick showing promise as the signal caller, Wannstedt seemed unsure about what he would do if Stull were to be available in the coming weeks.

Stopping Rice no walk through the paddy

Pitt’s defense will have to step up big on Saturday if it wants to stop Rutgers’ Heisman Trophy candidate Rice, who has already rushed for 1,500 yards and 16 touchdowns on the year.

Junior linebacker Scott McKillop leads the Pitt defense and tops the Big East in tackles per game with 12. McKillop also ranks among the best defensive players nationally, placing fourth in tackles per game and second in solo tackles per game at 7.56.