Anchors away! Pitt takes on Navy

By ZACK CHAKAN

Pitt looks to halt a three-game losing streak tonight against the incoming Navy Midshipmen… Pitt looks to halt a three-game losing streak tonight against the incoming Navy Midshipmen after starting the season with two wins.

The Panthers suffered their worst defeat in nearly two years a week and a half ago at Virginia, falling, 44-14. The last time they lost by more than thirty was on Nov. 24, 2005 against a top-12 West Virginia squad.

But Pitt has had more than 10 days to rest with an off-week in the interim to prepare for the option-filled offense of the Midshipmen (3-2).

The game will be nationally televised on ESPN and kickoff is scheduled for 8 p.m.

Coach Dave Wannstedt said that his team looks to use the national spotlight to elevate their play and begin the turnaround for their season.

“I talked to the kids this week and that’s why they all came here, to be on TV and get out there and show what you can do. We’ve got that chance this week and we just have to go out and do it.”

Newly retired and former Pitt standout running back Curtis Martin will be honored during the game. Martin became one of the top rushers in NFL history for the New England Patriots and the New York Jets.

The key point for tonight’s game may be Pitt’s ability to keep the game close early and hope to establish an early lead. The last few weeks, they have lagged out of the gates and found themselves in a huge hole that they couldn’t dig themselves out of.

The offense has shown the ability to move the ball down the field in the second half in their three losses, despite not doing so in the first half. So offensive coordinator Matt Cavanaugh and Wannstedt are finally opening up the playbook for freshman quarterback Pat Bostick.

“We’re going to come out of this game balanced and mix it up,” Wannstedt said. “Pat has had some very good practices. I believe he is into it and knows what we’re doing.”

Although Navy is 3-2, it has given up almost as many points as it has scored, and the Midshipmen’s shaky defense could be prime for exploitation if Pitt’s pass game improves its execution. This could also open up more holes for LeSean McCoy and LaRod Stephens-Howling on the ground.

For all of this to materialize, though, the offensive line needs to take a step forward. Fighting through yet another demoralizing injury, this one to right tackle Jason Pinkston, the line must give Bostick enough time to find the open receiver for Pitt to have success.

Wannstedt was quick to praise the work of his defense, which has had to deal with a lot of short fields because of turnovers and inefficiency the last two weeks.

“We’re still in the top 10 in the country in total defense, and when you look at the last three games, you say, ‘Well how can that be?’ Obviously we’re doing some real good things on defense, but you don’t get a chance to stand up here and talk about them when you don’t get the win.”

One aspect that the defense hasn’t established is in turnover creation. Pitt has only forced two turnovers the last three games, both of which coming on fumble recoveries. In turn, the offense has given the ball away 11 times in those three losses.

The defense has also been planning for the option-heavy offense from Navy. The Midshipmen lead the nation in rushing yards per game as a result.

Navy’s key offensive player is junior quarterback Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada. Enhada has only thrown for 460 yards, but he has also rushed for 414 yards and seven touchdowns. He combines quick feet with a decent arm for an option quarterback.

Junior fullback Eric Kettani is another weapon out of the option. He’s added 318 yards and four touchdowns out of the backfield.

In all, Navy has seven players with more than 100 yards rushing only five games into the year. The Panthers have paid extra attention to defending the triple-option scheme in practices this week.

“If they can keep the ball for eight minutes and run 15 plays, I’ll be the happiest guy in the world,” Wannstedt said. “That’s how you defeat this offense, you make them earn every yard and eliminate the big plays.”

Navy switches its defense between a 4-3 and a 3-4, but neither has been overly effective, as it has given up 157 points in five games.