Cincinnati, Louisville sneak out wins at Pitt

By ZACK CHAKAN

It seems like Pitt’s soccer programs just can’t escape heart-breaking losses.

On Friday… It seems like Pitt’s soccer programs just can’t escape heart-breaking losses.

On Friday night, the women’s team gave up the winning goal with only a minute left in double overtime to fall to the Cincinnati Bearcats, 2-1.

They followed that with a Sunday defeat at the hands of Louisville, 1-0, at Founders Field.

The two losses dropped Pitt’s record to 6-6 overall and 1-4 in the Big East.

“We didn’t execute defensively on both goals,” Pitt coach Sue-Moy Chin said.

Chin praised the competitiveness of the Big East conference.

“In the Big East, every game is like this, every team is good, anyone can beat anyone on any certain day,” Chin said.

Pitt begins a four-match road trip on Saturday at No. 16-ranked Connecticut.

Cincinnati 2, Pitt 1

The first half was relatively uneventful for both sides, but a bothersome trend developed early for the Panthers.

Cincinnati controlled the possession throughout the half, yet couldn’t develop many offensive chances.

It wasn’t until the last minute of the half where the action really took off. Pitt’s Rebecca Fraser took a good shot aimed at the top of the net.

It took a fantastic leaping save by Cincinnati goalie Andrea Kaminski to prevent the Panthers from taking the lead.

Kaminski’s valiant effort was wasted seconds later when Pitt sophomore Boivin notched her first career goal on a header.

The match opened up in all facets in the second half. The tide turned for good in the 66th minute.

Cincinnati’s Melissa Bigg delivered the corner kick into a crowded Pitt box.

The Panthers had chances to clear the ball but failed.

Emily Hebbeler finally corralled the ball and knocked it through the traffic to equalize the score.

The first overtime came and went without any scoring, but Pitt outshot Cincinnati, 3-0, in the period.

Their inability to finish came back to bite them.

Pitt had another defensive breakdown with less than one minute remaining in the second overtime.

Pitt’s defense whiffed on clearing the ball out of their zone and Bearcat Kendall Loggins sent the Cincinnati fans into hysteria by kicking the ball past a helpless Alison Finch for the victory.

Finch recorded six saves for the night, and Kaminski had eight for Cincinnati.

Pitt outshot Cincinnati, 14-13, but it was Pitt’s defensive shortcomings that finalized the decision.

“It’s tough to lose with a minute left in the match, especially at home,” Chin said.

“We’re going to regroup for Louisville.”

Louisville 1, Pitt 0

Coming off an upset over nationally ranked West Virginia, the Cardinals were ready for the Panthers.

The full 90 minutes passed without a goal from either side, leading to the second overtime battle for Pitt in two home weekend matches.

Pitt once again out-shot its opponent, 7-5, going into the overtime period.

Pitt’s offense couldn’t capture a goal, however, and Louisville was able to strike for the win.

Five minutes into the first overtime, Shannon Smyth took a long kick from goalkeeper Joanna Haig and turned it into a goal past Finch.

The goalies weren’t too busy for the match, with Finch stopping three shots and Haig recording only two saves.