Coming out for gay rights

By ESTELLE TRAN

“Come as you are” was the tagline that beckoned people to attend the OUTrageously Diverse… “Come as you are” was the tagline that beckoned people to attend the OUTrageously Diverse Semi-Formal that Pitt’s Rainbow Alliance sponsored last Friday.

The semi-formal gala marked the end of an eventful National Coming Out Week at Pitt. This event was open to people of any sexual orientation from Pitt, Chatham University, Duquesne University and the Community College of Allegheny County.

President of the Rainbow Alliance Aaron Arnold explained that the semi-formal was a place where same-sex couples could dance without worry of being physically or verbally harassed.

Supporters of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people around the country recognized National Coming Out Day on Thursday. However, the Rainbow Alliance extended this day into a weeklong celebration.

The week began with a chalk project on the walkway between Posvar Hall and the Hillman Library. People drew pictures that represented their coming out experiences. There was a game night that evening that welcomed new members to the Rainbow Alliance.

On Tuesday, the Rainbow Alliance called representatives who openly support the Employment Non-Discrimination Act. Under this act, discrimination of employees based on sexual orientation or gender identity would be a federal offense.

Senator Bob Casey and Senator Arlen Specter back this bill, which is currently working its way through Congress.

On Wednesday activist Brendan Fay spoke about one of the largest issues facing homosexual people: the balance between religion and homosexuality.

“It’s one of the biggest stressors when coming out,” Arnold said. “The advice he gave was to reconcile religious and sexual identities and not to let a church get in the way of God. I wish someone would have said that to me when I was coming out.”

Several people at National Coming Out Day’s Speak Out vented about religion, honesty and acceptance.

“Coming out is not something that you do once. It’s not something you get over with. Coming out is a lifelong process, and I do it every day,” Rainbow Alliance executive assistant Kelly Coburn said.

At the speak out, people came out as gay, straight, bisexual and other identities.

However, some were opposed to the cliche of coming out on National Coming Out Day.

“I actually hate Coming Out Day because nobody has to come out as straight,” Rainbow Alliance publicity chair Nicole Potase said. “We do these events because it’s great. But you shouldn’t have to come out. You should just be who you are.”

In the past, speakers have told depressing, emotional stories on National Coming Out Day, but the testimonies are changing with the times.

“The trend that we’re noticing with speaking out is that each year there are less and less stories of hardship and rejection,” Arnold said. “Times are changing definitely for the better.”