Rec center features new pool tables, XBoxes, TVs

By ESTELLE TRAN

Pitt students looking for something to do now have access to a slew of brand new amenities… Pitt students looking for something to do now have access to a slew of brand new amenities in the William Pitt Union recreation center.

Yesterday Chancellor Mark Nordenberg joined student leaders for the ceremonial ribbon-cutting of the project, which has been in the works for more than a year and a half.

The recreation center on the Union’s ground floor also includes the new commuter lounge and the relocated Oakland Tea House that will be open Friday nights.

With the installation of new lighting fixtures, a LAN gaming center, a non-alcoholic bar and plenty of cushioned chairs, the new recreation center hopes to be more inviting than the previous one.

“Before we had 14 pool tables that were never used. There were ’80s or ’90s arcade games and benches that didn’t allow for socialization,” president of Student Affairs Kenyon Bonner said.

There are still three pool tables in addition to the five computers and two Xbox 360s connected to two large televisions available with the swipe of a Pitt ID.

Three new arcade games were purchased for the lounge, including the popular Dance Dance Revolution: Super Nova.

All of these upgrades came at a significant price.

The expected cost was $2.975 million, including the renovations made to the seventh and eighth floors of the Union as well.

The recreation center will be open between 11 a.m. and 1 a.m., Sunday to Thursday. On Fridays and Saturdays it will be open from 11 a.m. The commuter lounge opens at 8 a.m.

The recreation center will also be available to students and groups that wish to hold events there through the Pitt Program Council.