Male athlete of the week

By EVAN BURGOS

Name: Jordan Marks Sport: Men’s soccer Major: History Favorite Oakland… Name: Jordan Marks Sport: Men’s soccer Major: History Favorite Oakland spot: Qboda and Uncle Sam’s Favorite food: Mexican Favorite sport besides soccer: Hockey

Jordan Marks isn’t too big on superstitions. His pre-game rituals amount to nothing more than tapping each goal post and the crossbar. He has a lot on his mind.

Marks is more concerned with the task that lies before him. If being a college student majoring in history weren’t enough, he has the responsibility of keeping the ball out of his net.

“Being in goal you have to have a more competitive nature,” Marks said. “It’s a lot of responsibility. It’s what made me stick with soccer.”

Marks, a native of nearby McMurray, Pa., has started six games in goal for the Panthers this year as a redshirt junior. As an upperclassman and team captain, Marks relishes his team leadership role.

“You have to be vocal,” he said. “That, along with performing.”

Marks also knows that as a leader, it’s important to keep his teammates’ spirits high.

“When you say stuff to people, you can’t be negative,” Marks said. “Tell them what they need to do to do things right. Don’t break people down.”

Marks knows as well as anyone else that his team has gotten off to a rocky start. But the squad’s 1-8-2 record won’t keep him from staying optimistic.

“We try to keep it positive,” he said. “We have a home stretch here where it’s important to get some wins. We stay positive and keep our heads up, and hopefully, we can get into the playoffs.”

In high school, Marks wasn’t just a soccer stud. During his senior year, he joined the school’s varsity hockey team, a program that won three state championships during his four years in school.

Hockey proved to be more of a hobby for Marks, though, who came to play soccer at Pitt with two of his best friends, current Panthers Matt Langton and Pat Kerr. Marks admits that, aside from the school being close to home, having the opportunity to continue playing with his two buddies was part of Pitt’s lure.

“I played with them since I was 12,” he said. “We were on the same club team. When I knew they were coming here, it was a bonus.”

The three are currently roommates.

Over his career as a goalkeeper, Marks has a .721 save percentage and led the team with 40 saves as a redshirt freshman. This year, he’s logged 697 minutes in goal and leads the team with 33 saves. He averages 1.97 goals allowed per contest.

Marks acknowledges that he would like to continue playing after college if the opportunity presents itself. His long-term plans, though, involve some leadership of another kind.

“I want to teach middle school,” Marks said. “I also want to coach kids.”

Marks believes the experience from soccer will translate into success in the classroom, as well as with his coaching.

“It will help present confidence in the classroom,” he said. “Academics and sports both draw from teaching. It’s all about helping kids become better people.”

He won’t be drawing solely from his own experiences, though. Marks hopes he’ll coach with a similar style to that of his own coaches.

“Most of my coaches have been demanding,” he said. “I think I’ll be demanding, too. I’ll expect a lot.”

Marks credits much of his own philosophies to his high school coach, who he says had a big influence on the approach he takes to the game.

“I relate a lot of the things that he did when I think of myself as a coach,” he said.

Yet, through this season’s tribulations, Marks has newfound insights into life and plans to use those experiences to his advantage in the future.

“This year’s been rough,” he said. “Down the road, looking back, I’ll be able to look at things positively.

“It’s hard to manage time between soccer and school, and it helps you grow as a person a lot,” he said. “I know things won’t always be easy.”

For a goalie and team leader, not much is.