Learning curve on Pirates’ season report card

By ZACK CHAKAN

To all of my fellow Pirate die-hards out there, we might finally be observing some positive… To all of my fellow Pirate die-hards out there, we might finally be observing some positive changes to our long-suffering club.

Wait, are there any of you left? Please, please tell me there are.

After a horrible July this team has improved drastically, and I believe its fortune is about to reverse.

But first, let’s review this 15th consecutive losing season (One short of tying a major league record, by the way).

It’s time to grade the progression, or regression, of the Buccos, however you choose to look at it.

Catcher: D+

After hitting .310 as a rookie, Ronny Paulino looked as though he had been making a daily run to Market Central to test the all-you-can-eat service. Combine that with putrid hitting and the lack of ability to catch a throw from the outfield, among other defensive problems, and you have an extremely disappointing season. He has improved his average lately, but it is evident that Ryan Doumit should at least share the job, if he doesn’t steal it altogether.

First base: B

Another disappointment in the first half was newcomer Adam LaRoche. Acquired in the Mike Gonzalez trade, he displeased the PNC Park crowds by hitting less than .200 in the first two months with an apparent lack of desire. But he has been the club’s best hitter since June, leading the team in home runs and adding stellar defense. First base is no longer a concern.

Second base: A-

Freddy Sanchez is a star. Although he also had a slow April because of a spring-training injury, he’s rebounded to hit .313 with 11 home runs – surprising power. Add this to his ever-improving defense and winning personality and Sanchez should be the face of the Pirates for years to come.

Shortstop: B-

Fan-favorite Jack Wilson is obviously no A-Rod when it comes to hitting. He is known throughout the league as one of its premier defensive shortstops. But his awful offense during the first half nearly led him to be traded to Detroit. But let this be clear, there are no better internal options than “Jack Flash.” He’s led all of baseball in batting average since July 31. Overpaid newcomer Cesar Izturis can’t hold Wilson’s jock.

Third base: C

Jose Bautista was expected to upgrade the overall power at the position, but that hasn’t happened. Instead, the Pirates have better defense than expected and great plate discipline. His long-term future is probably best seen in a utility role, but Bautista is an adequate plug until local prospect Neil Walker is ready. Jose Castillo, who was supposed to threaten Bautista after previously holding down the second base job, has disappointed horribly and will not be back.

Left field: C

The only Pirate to start hot is also the only one to finish horribly. Jason Bay’s defense is deteriorating and his quick bat has slowed faster than Rick Ankiel’s bandwagon. There is a distinct possibility that Bay is just having a down season, with a batting average in the low .250s, and everyone in Pittsburgh is praying that it is the case.

Center field: D

The revolving door that is center field just keeps on rolling. Chris Duffy fell flat on his face and got hurt again. Manager Jim Tracy keeps insisting that Nate McLouth is a backup, even though his speed and power is an intriguing combination. Rajai Davis rarely got a chance and then was traded to San Francisco. Nyjer Morgan can only play defense. Top prospect Andrew McCutchen is a year away.

Right field: B-

If anyone could stay healthy this position might have been settled already. Xavier Nady had a fine season but was constantly bothered by hamstring problems. Ryan Doumit probably visits a doctor daily. Steve Pearce, a rookie, looks promising. As he advanced from Single-A up to the majors this year.

Bench: C

Up until August, the Pirates had the worst bench in baseball. Castillo, Humberto Cota, Brad Eldred, Don Kelly – the list goes on and on. But the additions of Josh Phelps and Matt Kata sparked a significant turnaround, and the Buccos have been one of the better pinch-hitting teams in the league the last two months.

Starting pitching: C+

Tom Gorzelanny, Ian Snell and Paul Maholm had their inconsistencies, but they have shown that they are the core of Pittsburgh’s future. Gorzelanny has been particularly impressive, tallying 14 wins. Maholm had a rough first half and Snell a rocky second, but they have overall been major assets. Zach Duke was awful before getting hurt and the No. 5 spot was a comedy of errors. Tony Armas, Shane Youman and former first-rounders John Van Benschoten and Bryan Bullington have been smacked around. Veteran Matt Morris was brought in to shore up the rotation but has been merely average. The staff is counting on a Duke comeback for next year.

Relief pitching: C+

More ups and downs from these guys. Matt Capps has been tremendous as a closer. He is a future star. Damaso Marte, Shawn Chacon and John Grabow were mostly successful, but the back-end has been ineffective. Only young hopefuls Romulo Sanchez and Franquelis Osoria have been somewhat dependable, and many promising hopefuls like Jonah Bayliss, Josh Sharpless and Brian Rogers failed horribly. Japanese import Masumi Kuwata was a nice story, but he was past his prime and subsequently released.

Manager: C-

Jim Tracy was a winning manager in Los Angeles but that has yet to translate to success in Pittsburgh. He frequently makes questionable decisions in his lineups and management of the bullpen. It remains to be seen whether he will be brought back for next year.

General manager: F

Good riddance, Dave Littlefield. Sayonara. Drive home safely. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out. Yada Yada Yada. Enough with him. That’s a whole other column.