For all the Primanti’s: Pitt and Duquesne face off in City Game

By Chris Puzia / Sports Editor

Pitt students and players might not be overlooking Friday’s annual game as much as they might have in years past.

The Pitt men’s basketball team (4-3, 0-0 ACC) takes the court at Consol Energy Center against Duquesne (3-1, 0-0 Atlantic 10) in this year’s edition of The City Game, an annual cross-city matchup that the Panthers have, for the most part, dominated.

Pitt leads the series 51-31 and has won the past 13 matchups in the series that has been played since 1932. That current stretch marks the longest winning streak by either team in the series.

Coming off of an 81-69 loss at Indiana on Tuesday, Pitt ends its long trip away from the Petersen Events Center hoping to snap a stretch in which the team lost two of its past three games.

Sophomore guard Chris Jones led the team in scoring in the loss, posting 18 points, shooting 3-of-8 from 3-point range. Pitt shot 36.1 percent from the floor in the game — compared to Indiana’s 54.1 percent — and only made one 3-point shot in the second half.

Duquesne’s lone loss came to NJIT on Nov. 29 by a score of 84-81.

Junior guard Jordan Stevens leads the team in scoring with 17.3 point per game. The Dukes also have three players shooting more than 50 percent from 3-point range entering Friday’s game.

Junior guard Micah Mason makes 3.8 shots from 3-point range per game on average. On Tuesday, Indiana shot 41.2 percent from long range. 

Last year, Pitt won The City Game 84-67 in the 82nd meeting between the teams.