Even they can’t pick the Steelers this week — fact!

By MATT SORTINO ' DAVE THOMAS

1. The Pitt men’s basketball team deserves to be ranked No. 11 in this week’s ESPN/USA… 1. The Pitt men’s basketball team deserves to be ranked No. 11 in this week’s ESPN/USA Today Poll and No. 12 in the AP Poll.

Matt Sortino: Fact. No matter who the schedule makers put out there for you to play, if you win 12 straight games without losing, it is an accomplishment worth recognizing. The Panthers beat a solid Big Ten team in Wisconsin and a feisty Notre Dame team at home for good wins. They have a lot to prove in the next 21 days, but when you are one of only three undefeated teams in the nation you certainly deserve some credit.

Dave Thomas: Fiction. I understand that the Panthers are one of three undefeated teams in the country, but I don’t think they deserve to be ranked this high. They have only played one conference game – at home – against a team they should have beaten. Yet in that game, they barely squeaked out a double overtime win. I’ll say top 25, even top 20 for the Panthers right now, but their schedule was just too weak to start off and I can’t justify that they are the 11th-best team in the country. If they get through this tough stretch in January unscathed, they deserve it, but not yet.

2. Vince Young made the right decision by declaring himself eligible for the NFL draft earlier this week.0

MS: Fact. There is no doubt that Vince Young’s draft stock is at its peak right now. He may not like the teams that are eligible to take him, but then again, who would? What amazes me is that Young has a great year, then puts together possibly the greatest single-game performance in college football history, and it completely knocks Matt Leinart off the map. Remember, Leinart won two national championships while Young only won one. Leinart won the Heisman last year, Young finished second this season. But all of a sudden teams are scrambling to decide between Reggie Bush and Vince Young. Everyone seems to forget about the guy that would have been the surefire No. 1 pick a year ago and possible Rookie of the Year this season playing for the 49ers.

DT: Fact. His stock couldn’t get any higher right now, so why wait? He showed the entire nation at the “granddaddy-of-’em-all” that he is ready for the next level. He has nothing left to prove right now, so he made the right decision. As good as he was, I still don’t think he will be picked before Leinart or Bush, and rightfully so. What those two have done in their college careers may never be seen again.

3. The Steelers will once again avenge a regular-season loss and come away victorious on the road in the playoffs when they take on the Indianapolis Colts this Sunday.

MS: Fiction. I have to pick with my head here and not my heart, and my head says that the Steelers, while they are playing good football, aren’t playing great football. If they play the way they did Sunday against the Bengals this weekend against the Colts, it will be bye-bye birdie for the black and gold. The Steelers’ pass defense has been unimpressive and their tendency to fall behind early in big games will kill them Sunday. I do think this game will be closer than the first time around, seeing as how the Steelers have Marvel Smith back and healthy, as well as a fresh Ben Roethlisberger, but the Colts have been the best team in football all season and I don’t think that stops Sunday.

DT: Fiction. As much as it kills me to say it, I just don’t think the Steelers can pull this one off. It’s clear that their biggest weakness is in the secondary, particularly at cornerback, and I don’t see how they will be able to stop Peyton Manning and the Colts offense. There is a reason Bill Cowher has been calling this team the best in football all week: they are.

4. Defending Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots deserve to be a three-point favorite on the road against Denver this week.

MS: Fact. It’s a fact because the odds makers know that the Patriots are going to win this game, but it’s a shame because people are disrespecting what the Broncos have done the entire season. Remember, the Broncos won 13 games, and they smoked the Pats earlier in the season. Their record indicates they are the second-best team in the AFC and they are playing at home. If that isn’t enough to fuel the fire, add the fact that they are underdogs and see if they can do better with that motivation than the Bengals did.

DT: Fact. Something about January makes Tom Brady a different player. The Pats have been playing well lately, and no one has respected the Broncos all year. Denver had a great year, but the Patriots have won three of the last four Super Bowls. Despite the location of the game, those rings entitle them to be favorites. I do think this will be the best game of the weekend and could even finish closer than three points.