SGB aims to reallocate student group offices

By Abbey Reighard / Staff Writer

The Student Government Board voted last night to approve grammatical changes to its governing code.  

Board President Mike Nites said the changes involved fixing a “couple of missed prepositions.” The governing code contains SGB’s bylaws, allocations manual and other governing documents such as SGB’s code of ethics. 

Board member Mona Kazour said the bill contained “nothing too dramatic or controversial.” The changes will add an official procedure for SGB’s public meeting and create a uniform attendance policy.

Nites also introduced a bill that “formally recommends” Vice Provost and Dean of Students Dr. Kathy Humphrey and the Office of Student Affairs reallocate space on the fourth floor of the William Pitt Union, where WPTS Radio and The Pitt News offices are located.

Editor-in-Chief of The Pitt News, Natalie Daher, said she appreciated the time Humphrey and Kenyon Bonner, associate dean of students and director of student life, took to meet with her and Nites. 

“I disagreed with a lot of Mike’s criticisms in the limited time I had to review the report,” Daher said. “But I look forward to continuing the discussion with Dr. Humphrey, Kenyon and the Student Government Board.” 

Rachel Mauer, WPTS station manager, could not be reached for comment at the time of publication. 

The Board will table the resolution for one week, and then discuss and vote on the resolution next week.  

Allocations:

The Exercise Science Organization requested $2,999 to send four people to a national conference. The Board approved $1,962.80 and denied $1,036.20 in line with the allocations recommendation. 

Pitt Rowing Club requested $7,357 for new equipment. The Board approved $4,041.66 and denied $3,315.34 in line with the allocations recommendation.  

Pitt Ski and Snowboard Club requested $2,674 individual dues for regional and national competitions and team dues. The Board approved $1,474 and denied $1,200 in line with the allocations recommendation. 

Asian Students Alliance requested a $13,631 joint budget modification with the Chinese Students and Scholars Association to bring Miss America and Miss California to Pitt. The Board approved $12,980 and denied $651 in line with the allocations recommendation. 

PantherRaas requested $1,946.58 for 18 people to go to a national-qualifying competition in Washington, D.C. The Board approved in full in line with the allocations recommendation.