TPN predicts Pitt women’s basketball

By The Pitt News Staff

Here are some of our staff’s predictions for the upcoming Pitt women’s basketball season:

Dan Sostek, Assistant Sports Editor 

The program clearly has the right woman for the job in Suzie McConnell-Serio, but the Panthers will continue to rebuild in 2014-2015. With a litany of injuries, most notably redshirt sophomore center Marvadene “Bubbles” Anderson and junior Brittany Gordon, the Panthers will lack depth throughout the season. Still, with a highly-touted freshman class coming in, fans should still be excited for the trio of Yacine Diop, Stasha Carey and Aysia Bugg, as well as former Pitt volleyball player Monica Wignot joining the team in her final year of academic eligibility.

Prediction: 11-18

Breakout player: Yacine Diop

Chirs Puzia, Sports Editor

One of the women’s team’s primary goals should be to not finish as one of the bottom three teams in the ACC this year. Last season, the team went 3-13 in conference play, and head coach Suzie McConnell-Serio could face even bigger problems with the extreme lack of depth on the team. After the first eight to 10 games, it will be interesting to see how the fatigue and wear and tear of the schedule affects the team. With some promising freshmen being forced into additional playing time, look for McConnell-Serio to mix up her lineups — as much as she can with so few players, that is — to find the optimal lineup heading into ACC play.

Prediction: 10-19

Breakout player: Monica Wignot

Logan Hitchcock, Staff Writer

With the abundance of home games and the influx of fresh, young talent, the Panthers will build on their record in the second season under head coach McConnell-Serio. Brianna Kiesel will take control of as many games as she can, but the lack of depth and experience will keep the team from breaking the .500 mark.

Prediction: 13-16

Breakout player: Fred Potvin