Get it to go: Primanti Bros to ship nationwide

By Jesseca Muslin / Staff Writer

If you’re a Pittsburgh grad or soon to be one, and you are moving out of the Pittsburgh area, there’s a good chance you’ll miss some of the things that make the city unique, such as Polish pierogies from the Strip and Iron City Beer. 

But if a classic Primanti Brother’s sandwich is on the list of Pittsburgh classics you’ll miss, you might not need to worry any longer. 

In late October, Primanti Bros. partnered with Goldbely, a company that takes dishes from restaurants across the country and turns them into ready-to-ship meals. 

“We pride ourselves on being explorers of food on a mission to get people all over the country amazing regional items, and Primanti Bros. is one of them,” said David Ariel, who handles customer happiness and business development at Goldbely. 

Goldbely is currently selling the Primanti Bros. “Almost Famous” sandwich on its website for $109, with an extra $35 charge to ship to Alaska or Hawaii. 

Ariel said each package is shipped overnight to its buyers to ensure freshness and comes with all the ingredients needed to make four sandwiches, which is why it has a higher price. 

“The ‘Almost Famous’ Sandwich was the one that had a ‘Steel Curtain’-like legacy,” Ariel said. “It was the one that stood out and was what you expect from a Primanti Bros. sandwich.”

Representatives from Primanti Bros. corporate did not return requests for comment on the nationwide shipping. 

Victor Cherubin, a manager at the Primanti’s on Forbes Ave., said shipping the sandwiches nationwide is a good idea. 

“People fly home with sandwiches wrapped up separately,” he said, attesting to people’s love for Primanti’s sandwiches. 

Cherubin said he hasn’t ordered a sandwich for shipping, so doesn’t know how well one would keep when being shipped, but eats the sandwiches as leftovers and still loves them.

Rick Demarco, who works at the Primanti’s on Forbes Avenue, said shipping the sandwiches nationwide is great for people who don’t live in Pittsburgh. 

“People from out of town are always [saying], ‘Put a store near my house’,” Demarco said. 

Each package shipped includes Primanti’s Italian bread, pastrami or capicola, cheese, french fries, coleslaw, tomato, Red Devil hot sauce and a Primanti’s T-shirt. 

The packages are made to-order in Pittsburgh, and Primanti Bros. ships a limited quantity of packages on Tuesdays and Thursdays only.  

Ariel said the response to the sandwich has been amazing, and many people have been ordering it. Ariel declined to give any numbers on how many people have ordered the sandwich, stating “privacy issues.”

“People from all walks have been ordering, from native Pittsburghers to people that are only in the U.S. for a few days visiting,” Ariel said. 

Ala Din is an international student from Egypt in the English Language Institute at Pitt, and he said if Primanti’s would ship internationally he would send a package to his family in Egypt. Din said Primanti’s is great for drinks and food and is a good place to hang out. 

“I love this place for chilling, especially at lunchtime,” Din said. 

Although a packaged version of the sandwich may not be the same as the version cooked in front of you in the restaurant, it’s a way for out-of-towners or Pittsburgh natives living elsewhere to get a taste of a Pittsburgh staple. 

“People will still buy it like crazy just for the name,” Demarco said.