Race colors dating scene, dean says

More than two-thirds of the black population in America are single.

“African-Americans are… More than two-thirds of the black population in America are single.

“African-Americans are the only group where most people aren’t married,” Dr. Larry E. Davis said Wednesday afternoon at a book signing for the latest edition of his book, “Black and Single: Meeting and Choosing a Partner Who’s Right for You.”

In his book, Davis, who is the dean of Pitt’s School of Social Work, applies psychological theories to dating within the black community. His first edition sold more than 50,000 copies nationwide. His new edition will be available nationally and in the University Book Center.

During his quest to publish his first edition in the early ’90s, Davis faced criticism. His book was the first to explore dating from a purely racial perspective.

“Most people are unaware of the differences between blacks and whites,” Davis said, referring to dating and relationship statistics.

Davis explained that black people face different issues than whites do when dating. Demographically, the black community has a shortage of available men – incarceration and a lack of black men with steady jobs create odds against black women finding good matches, he said.

“Even if all the black women wanted to get married, it would not be possible,” Davis explained. There are only eight black men for every 10 black women in America, and if factors such as education and income level are taken into account, the number drops to about five black men for 10 black women, he said.

Natalie Solomon, an alumna of Pitt, agreed with Davis.

“A lot of black women feel that if they are educated, there is a discrepancy [with] the numbers of [educated] men,” Solomon said.

This discrepancy presents a unique dilemma within the black dating community, where more than two-thirds of degrees are given to women, Davis said.

“I think [available men] are out there, but it’s hard to be in the right place at the right time,” said Bill Gaston, a senior at Point Park University who showed up for Davis’s signing.

“Most people who are educated aren’t into the clubs and the bars,” Gaston added.

Davis’s book gives advice for singles facing dating difficulties.

Since black women tend to have their children younger than other women, Davis devotes an entire chapter to dating with children.

He also explores interracial dating.

“White women have more power because they have more options,” Davis said.

He added, however, that black women have more economic muscle. On average, white women make $0.76 for every dollar white men earn, while black women make $0.95 for every dollar black men earn.

Although Davis’s book may seem to revolve around race, the core of the book focuses on relationships. The book is about “why people like people,” he said.

“Love is a non-random, very selective activity,” Davis said.

People take into account class, race, ethnicity and religion when looking for a partner, he said, adding that people don’t really like those who are the opposite of themselves but, rather, those who complement them.

Davis helps people to find their ideal mates by helping them assess themselves.

“What you’re looking for should look something like what you are bringing,” Davis said.

He also showed how to calculate one’s “Romance Market Value,” which he said indicates what one should look for in a partner.

Davis got the idea for his book when he was a senior in college. At the time, he was disenchanted with the research of social psychologists because they did not make an effort to share their findings with society as a whole.

“I wanted something to happen with the work I was doing,” Davis said.

“The goal of social science is to make it available.”