Editorial: The Pitt News endorses Wasi Mohamed for SGB President

By The Pitt News Editorial Board

This Sunday, The Pitt News met with each presidential candidate for Student Government Board to ask them about pertinent issues facing the future of SGB. 

Candidates Andrew Stefanik, Wasi Mohamed and Graeme Meyer agreed on one thing: SGB needs restructuring. Over the past year, the Board has seen the resignation of four members as well as poor voter turnout. Now, incoming Board members will face the challenge of reinvigorating the student body’s commitment to and engagement with student government.

While each candidate possesses relevant experience to lead and oversee this process, one candidate stands out from the others. That candidate is Wasi Mohamed.

Mohamed, a senior triple majoring in neuroscience, history and philosophy of science and religious studies, said one of his three main platforms was restructuring student government because “it affects every single other advocacy initiative we have.” He recognizes the flaws within student government and has laid the groundwork to solve them based on his experiences in different campus organizations. He was instrumental in the formation of PittServes, an organization that connects individual students and student organizations seeking service opportunities with local and regional organizations that need volunteers for projects, and he has served as the Resident Student Association executive board president as well as a member of various committees within SGB, including the first Community Outreach Committee, which oversees a variety of service projects, including PMADD. 

Mohamed said these various projects required him to compare the student-related issues that exist within the University with other comparable institutions, which has helped him identify how exactly he can work to restructure SGB. 

Furthermore, Mohamed understands that the lack of student participation with SGB is unacceptable and has proposed attainable solutions to ensure the Board makes progress — and quickly. He suggested the implementation of certain structures, like a campus senate, to enhance each student’s voice. Mohamed rejected the Board’s exclusive nature and said he wants to expand its influence and outlook by “discussing campus issues within student groups instead of making everybody come to our meetings.” 

Mohamed aims to establish an independent committee of students who will check the progress of board initiatives, all with a critical and fair eye. Such a measure would place extra burden on the Board, and is integral to keeping SGB accountable. Although it may be inconvenient for him, Mohamed said he understands the importance of checking the Board.

It’s Mohamed’s activist spirit paired with a keen judgment on how to practically achieve results that makes him fit to lead SGB. He’s been outspoken and dedicated to challenging and working with administrators on changes ranging from the addition of halal food and a reflection room in the William Pitt Union to the signing of the workers’ rights accord. 

Mohamed’s commitment to pragmatism and effectiveness also has the potential to transcend student government and spearhead the efficiency the Board desperately needs. It’s also refreshing to have a candidate working to ensure a more clear and transparent civic process. For example, the Board’s constitution only requires three percent of the student body to vote in a referendum, and only half of those who vote need to approve a measure for it to pass — a rule Mohamed said he found “ridiculous,” since more than three percent of the student body should be involved with policy changes. If more students voted, more pressure would be placed on Board members to act on and execute the referendum outcome.

Mohamed also has an innovative outlook on academic reforms. He said he wants to work with academic departments to ensure that students receive the education they want and deserve. Mohamed said he wants to retool SGB’s Academic Affairs Committee to make sure that academics are always improving at the University. Additionally, Mohamed said he wants general education requirements to cater more to student interest. 

“We need to make sure that people have the freedom to make sure that all the gen-eds do something for them personally,” he said.

While each presidential candidate is capable of leading SGB, Pitt’s student body deserves a leader who demands tangible change on the behalf of the student voice. Mohamed wishes not only to talk, but to act, and we believe he is the best choice for Pitt’s Student Government Board President.