There’s just something romantic about that Italian sunset

By Ashley Williams

“Under the Tuscan Sun,” from director Audrey Wells, is based on the best-selling memoir of… “Under the Tuscan Sun,” from director Audrey Wells, is based on the best-selling memoir of the same title by Frances Mayes. Diane Lane plays Frances, a recently divorced book critic. Trying to help Frances out of her post-breakup heartache, friend Patti (Sandra Oh) offers a gift she hopes will do the trick. It is a ticket to Tuscany, Italy. What begins as an unwanted vacation turns into a new life when Frances, on a whim, buys a dilapidated villa.

Frances’ enthusiastic realtor (Vincent Riotta) and a team of Polish handymen join her as renovations begin on “Bramasole,” which aptly means “something that yearns for the sun.” As the house becomes a home, Frances adapts to life as a single American in Italy. She finds herself forming friendships with the people around her, slowly rediscovering herself in the process. When a chance encounter leads her into the arms of handsome Marcello (Raoul Bova), Frances steps into a whirlwind romance that, if unsuccessful, may break her for good.

With her heart on her sleeve and fear in her throat, she pursues what she desires above all else – marriage and a family. She has yet to learn the lesson vocalized by eccentric friend Katherine (Lindsay Duncan) – only when you stop looking for what you desire will you find it.

While the film is entertaining and sincere, by the end, the viewer is left with a “haven’t I seen this before?” feeling. Cliched representations of love run amok. Certain scenes feature landscapes that are almost unreal in their beauty; we are meant to feel that, because the world looks beautiful and happy, our protagonist is happy as well.

Wells uses other methods to continually hit the viewer over the head with her “underlying” message of the pursuit of happiness in the face of intimidating odds. A sunflower and light motif is associated with Tuscany, giving it an atmosphere of hope. For any doubt that may remain as to what Frances feels, Wells includes voice-overs that allow audiences into Frances’ thoughts.

The saving grace of this movie is Lane’s performance. Brilliant and multi-faceted, she takes us along with her on an emotional roller coaster. It’s her performance that largely causes other aspects of the movie seem gratuitous. Voice-overs and cliches may have been needed with a lesser actor; Lane renders them unnecessary. The ensemble cast performs well, and the entertaining characters provide comic relief for the drama in Frances’ life.

The beautiful pans of Italian shoreline and great ensemble acting balance mediocre direction for an enjoyable viewing experience.