Live and in concert: places to see your favorite acts

By Greg Heller-LaBelle

Loads of musical acts pass through Pittsburgh during the course of a year, making it a haven… Loads of musical acts pass through Pittsburgh during the course of a year, making it a haven for concert lovers of all tastes. From small clubs to massive amphitheaters, the ‘Burgh has a size for every band. Here are a few of the venues at which you can expect to see acts at some point during your college career.

The Post-Gazette Pavilion

Located in Burgettstown, about an hour away, the Post-Gazette Pavilion is a huge arena that attracts the most star-powered acts around. With a canopy that protects several thousand seats from the elements, as well as cheaper lawn seating, the Pavilion’s prices are never inexpensive. Vendors sell typical festival food at typical exorbitant prices, so expect an outing to put you significantly in the hole.

Mellon Arena

Another place for major acts, the home of the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team is your standard indoor arena. Concerts are usually huge acts with huge ticket prices, such as The Rolling Stones, who came in January.

Metropol and Rosebud

This club-like venue in the Strip District is a favorite of mid-range bands and artists. The club’s neo-industrial decor, with neon lights and huge steel I-beams for columns, is offset by the trendy-looking bar that rings the club. Any underagers (at all-ages shows), or those seeking proximity to the artists, can stand in the huge pit-like space in front of the stage, while the bar goes up to a second floor and overlooks the stage from the side.

Artists like Ben Folds frequent Metropol, and usually for very reasonable prices, making it one of the best venues in Pittsburgh.

South Side clubs

If your buddy and his bluegrass band are going to be playing a gig locally, it’s more than likely going to be in one of the many clubs that dot the South Side’s main drag. These clubs usually ask only a modest cover charge for entrance and can range from the blues-bar feel of Nick’s Fat City to the intimate, subdued decor of Club Cafe.

Laga

Oakland’s only music venue (aside from the bars or the Petersen Events Center), Laga attracts many acts, from local bands to mid-range rock artists. The music is almost always of a hard rock or industrial variety, and usually prices are quite cheap for the dark, cramped general admission space. Major DJs, such as Venom and Dieselboy, often stop at Laga on tours.

Mr. Roboto Project

If you’re into indie rock and can’t stand the thought of a major label luring your favorite band into “selling out,” this is your place. Local and national indie acts line the esoteric roster of Roboto’s headliners. Needless to say, it’s not too expensive.

Point State Park

Every summer, the Three Rivers Arts Festival brings major acts to town for free. That’s right, free. Possibly the best reason to stay in Pittsburgh over the summer is the chance to sit on a lawn and hear acts like last year’s Norah Jones, Leon Redbone and the Indigo Girls. And it’s only a short bus ride downtown to the Golden Triangle.

The Quiet Storm

Arguably the most comfortable free venue, this coffee shop-cum-listening room is about as chill as they come. You can bring your own beverage for a $3 corkage fee, or enjoy some of their wonderful coffee or tea. Also, the vegan food served there is among the best available in Pittsburgh. Located in Friendship, it’s a little difficult for the carless to get to, but the enjoyable experience can be well worth the effort.