So many student groups to get involved in, so little time

By Greg Heller-LaBelle

So you slept through the activities fair, you’ve already gotten over the fact that class… So you slept through the activities fair, you’ve already gotten over the fact that class only takes a few hours each day and that Playstation 2 just isn’t cutting it for time consumption anymore. You need something to fill up those extra hours, and it might be cool to meet a few people along the way. What choices do you have for activities and groups on campus?

The first option to consider might be the governance groups on campus. The governance bodies are the largest groups and they work as umbrella organizations for other organizations that you might be interested in joining.

You may already be a part of some of the governance bodies. For instance, if you are a black student, you are already counted as a member of Black Action Society, one of the most active student organizations on campus. Engineering Student Council, Asian Student Alliance and the Resident Student Association are all similar organizations with easily accessible headquarters on campus that you can visit or call to find out how to get involved.

Identity groups on campus are a very active part of student life. Hillel, a Jewish organization, is one of the largest, but smaller groups can be just as active. Freedom, the University’s only minority honors society, has less than 30 members but still puts out a book of activities and things to do in Pittsburgh. The National Society of Black Engineers has members who work with students at a local middle school, designing a city for a regional and national competition. No matter your background, there are student groups working to enrich your cultural identity and place in the community.

Another option is one of the campus political groups. With a branch of College Republicans, two student democratic organizations, several debate clubs and a plethora of socialist and leftist groups, someone of any persuasion can find a home.

From Students in Solidarity to the campus Libertarian group, political organizations can get you involved in anything from rallies and protests to volunteering for local and national candidates.

The student media organizations provide a haven for those interested in communications. WPTS, the Pitt radio station, and The Pitt News, our daily, independent, student newspaper, are both located on the fourth floor of the William Pitt Union. There is also the Panther Prints Yearbook, the Pitt TV “Creation Station” and a number of University public relations publications, all of which are waiting for creative students to help out.

Yes, Pitt is a Division I, Big East Conference sports school and no, you probably won’t be put on the basketball team as a walk-on. Still, there are lots of club and intramural sports for those just looking to stay in shape and have a good time. Rugby, lacrosse, billiards, martial arts and just about everything else has a club representing it that you can join.

Sometimes you may need to shell out money for equipment, but often the charges will be covered by your student activity fee, so ask the president or captain. Also, many times Pitt offers one-credit physical education classes at an introductory level, so check your course description guide and see if there’s one that might interest you.

The vast majority of student groups, though, are small and activity-oriented. Black Dance Workshop, Gaming Club and Panther Ballroom Dance Club are just a few examples of groups that are focused on one particular interest.

Check at the Office of Student Activities to see if there is a group that you think you might enjoy. Also, if you have an idea for an organization that doesn’t exist yet, check with Student Government Board about starting one and getting money from the University. Charters are generally easy to form, and any student organization gets the free perks of an e-mail address and a Web domain, and can often get free food from Sodexho for event meetings.