Pitt’s Greek report nears completion

By GREG HELLER-LaBELLE

The report that could determine the future of Pitt’s Greek system will be done soon, if all… The report that could determine the future of Pitt’s Greek system will be done soon, if all goes according to plan.

According to Pitt director of Public Safety Deborah Furka and Vice Provost for Undergraduate Studies and Dean of Students Jack Daniel, Furka’s report studying Greek systems at Pitt and across the country will be done in the next two weeks.

The report was scheduled to be completed in December, but Furka said that it required “a lot more research documentation” than originally anticipated.

“With the research that was obtained, there was a lot to go through,” she said. “There was a lot to digest.”

Daniel, who was sick with pneumonia for much of winter break, said that he met with Furka during the Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend.

“It turned out to be far more complex than we thought,” Daniel said.

The report will be only be seen by Daniel, but he said he will “discuss sections” with students before making a decision.

“I don’t want to do anything to hurt the Greek systems,” Daniel said. “I definitely won’t receive a report and then take action.”

Furka declined to comment on whether there had been direct student input into the report, but did say that feedback from the Greek forums held last semester were included.

“It’s been very involved,” she said. “It’s been a priority … for Student Affairs as well as the Greek organizations.

Panhellenic Association President Alissa Krutoff said she did not have any comment at the time, but did say she had not yet met with Furka to discuss the report.

“I just want to know what’s going on,” she said.