Still plenty of reasons to watch this year’s World Series

By Sports View

The World Series is the most wonderful time of the year, at least for baseball fans…. The World Series is the most wonderful time of the year, at least for baseball fans. Baseball, not highly regarded anymore as America’s pastime, has been losing much of its popularity lately.

This is mostly because of constant, annoying threats of labor strikes brought on by money-loving, greedy, selfish, dirty steroid-injecting players, and for the last few years, the baseball postseason lacked surprise and excitement as the same teams were involved.

But all is not lost in the world of professional baseball. With all that is going wrong, the 2002 World Series between the Anaheim Angels and the San Francisco Giants is a refreshing glimpse as to what baseball can be and should be, ideally. There is nostalgia, a new respect for the game, excitement, and unpredictability.

Baseball can be salvaged, starting with the current World Series.

Here are 10 reasons why the 2002 fall classic might save the game and why everyone should be watching:

No. 1: The “Underdog” Series

Isn’t it nice to not have to look at Joe Torre and George Steinbrenner? For the first time in four seasons (1998-2001), the New York Yankees are not in the World Series. As a matter of fact, all of the perennial powers were eliminated after the first round.

Since the League Championship Series began, Fox networks have been using the Cinderella slipper theme to signify this turn of events. For the first time, the World Series is made up of two wild-card teams who battled their way into the playoffs and were not favored to make it past the first round.

The Giants haven’t won a World Series title since 1954 and haven’t been to one since 1989.

If that isn’t bad enough, the Angels have never even been to a World Series.

No. 2: High Scoring Games

The World Series is ultimately supposed to decide who the best team is in baseball. So when the score is 11-10, like in game two, that certainly deviates from the norm of World Series’ play where runs are hard to come by and the games are low-scoring.

Starting pitchers’ performances have been uncharacteristic of recent World Series’ performances by aces such as Curt Schilling or Randy Johnson.

Although it might not be the most fundamentally sound Series, it certainly isn’t boring. Most people like to watch high scoring, thrilling baseball games, which the sport has been lacking.

No. 3: Long Ball

Going along with the high scoring games, nothing is better than when somebody hits a home run. The recent plethora of home runs has had its impact on the high scores.

Home runs are what fans pay to see. Crowds erupt more for a home run than a strikeout or a stolen base. It makes the game of baseball more exciting.

No. 4: Grab Your Monkey

He jumps around, dances and gets everyone fired up. He is the Rally Monkey. Where crowd support is sometimes lacking at baseball games, the fans in Anaheim are some of the loudest from the opening pitch to the final out.

They start by cracking their ThunderStixcq? together for the entire game. Then, the sixth inning marks the appearance by the Rally Monkey, where the crowd just goes nuts. Although it has nothing to do with baseball or the Anaheim Angels, the Rally Monkey is a marketing genius for the franchise.

Their enthusiasm is a spark for television viewers. It has made me want to order one of those monkeys from MLB.com.

No. 5: Barry Lamar Bonds

I will be honest; I don’t like the man one bit. He is arrogant, wears that stupid earring and he used to be a Pittsburgh Pirate who left town for more money.

Even though he claims he is all muscle and hard work, I think he uses steroids. Just 10 years ago, Bonds was a puny runt with a big mustache and little head. Now the man is huge.

My favorite moment of the 2002 postseason, thus far, was seeing Bonds whiff on a high fastball from Jarrod Washburn in game one. But he doesn’t strike out much (only five times this postseason).

However, the fans love Bonds and that is good for baseball.

His lack of postseason success has been a running theme throughout the Series. Going into the playoffs, Bonds had just one home run in the postseason.

That is pretty ironic for a man who has 600 total homers in his career. In his first World Series at bat, Bonds jacked a home run. He has had seven blasts this postseason.

Whether you love him or hate him, Bonds is one of those marquee players.

No. 6: Tim Salmon

The Anaheim right fielder is one of the good guys of baseball. He has stuck with the Angels for 10 straight seasons.

Salmon is one of those guys everyone likes to see do well because of his clean-cut image. There are no scandals surrounding him because he is just out there doing his job.

Despite batting .214 in the LCS and going 0-4 in game one of the World Series, Salmon had a breakout in game two. He went 4-4, knocked two home runs and drove in four runs.

It is always a warm feeling to see the good guys do well.

No. 7: I Love L.A.

The World Series always brings out all of the closet baseball fans. These famous people make their presence felt at all of the big sporting events. Being how this is an all-California Series, the Hollywood celebrities are everywhere.

Kobe Bryant was seen with his wife, Vanessa. Kiefer Sutherland, John Travolta, Charlie Sheen and Arnold Schwarzenegger were all at Edison Field. Even former Baywatch “hunk” David Hasselhoff took time out from his alcohol rehab to check out the World Series.

No. 8: Name Your Memory

I am sure everyone has their own favorite memory of baseball. MasterCard has been promoting the MLB Memorable Moments all season. Fans have been encouraged to vote out of 30 monumental events in baseball history. The pregame festivities of game four unveiled the top 10, as voted on by the fans.

This nostalgia allows for fans of all ages to enjoy baseball. Memories such as Cal Ripken’s 2,131st consecutive game and Hank Aaron’s 715th home run were included among the 30 to vote for. They span different time periods, which encourages all fans to participate and share their personal favorites.

No. 9: Commercials

He takes batting practice. He takes infield practice. He takes Viagra.

Yes, it’s Rafael Palmeiro, the first baseman for the Texas Rangers, and avid Viagra user. He is not embarrassed to admit to being sexually frustrated on national television. This commercial has aired at least 10 times per game.

My other favorite commercial features Mark McGwire’s acting debut, such as it is. McGwire is endorsing the “Watch Championship With a Champion” contest, sponsored by Lycos.

It cracks me up as he is playing on a swing and bonding with some skinny guy to the background music of the television theme to “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father” (People let me tell you about my best friend … ).

With commercials such as these, the World Series may soon be a rival to the Super Bowl. Everyone should watch.

No. 10: Francisco Rodriguez

He is my new hero and my main reason for watching the World Series. “K-Rod,” as he is affectionately called by the Anaheim fans, has had stellar postseason performances.

Rodriguez, a rookie relief pitcher, was not even on the roster until Sept. 18, two weeks prior to postseason play. Last year he was a floundering Class A starter with an ERA over 5.00.

However, at 20 years and 286 days, Rodriguez is the youngest pitcher to win a World Series game. He also has the most playoff victories by an American League pitcher with five, so far.

With the game two win under his belt, K-Rod has pitched in 16 innings, gave up only four hits, and struck out 23 batters this postseason. His most amazing feat came in the second game of the World Series, where he worked three innings, gave up no hits and fanned four batters. Nine batters, nine outs, 26 pitches, where 22 of them were strikes; this is the ideal relief pitcher and just another reason to watch the World Series.

Shaunna Stuck is a staff writer for The Pitt News and loves her “big sister.” She also wants to know where else you can see talking monkeys, big, tough jocks proclaiming their impotence and Mark McGwire wanting to be your friend.