People should respect the feelings beneath the fur

Animals feel pain. If you are not already familiar with this concept, then please familiarize… Animals feel pain. If you are not already familiar with this concept, then please familiarize yourself with it. Animals, like those seemingly threatening guard dogs, German shepherds, are defenseless and scared when confronted with violence.

If you were a defenseless child again and an adult started screaming at you for no justifiable reason, fear would turn your stomach and make your body tremble. An animal is no different from a defenseless child who can be damaged internally and externally by violence and neglect.

Does this sound like a lecture? It probably is, and if you are still reading I thank you because that means you are either a person who respects animals and doesn’t need this lecture, a person who wants to respect animals and needs some persuading or simply a person who does not understand what constitutes animal abuse and neglect. If you fall into the latter category, you especially should keep reading.

Food, water and shelter are the basic necessities of life. If you deprive an animal in your care of any of these necessities, you are being abusive and neglectful. If you are discovered and reported to a local humane organization, you can be charged with a felony in 31 states and a misdemeanor in the others.

This alone should not be reason enough to search for humanity within yourself. First you must think of that calico cat or terrier that is hungry or dehydrated, who will probably still offer you affection in the afternoons when you arrive home from school or work. Once you take a moment to do this, I hope that humanity seems more attainable. But if it doesn’t, keep reading.

Animal neglect and abuse are not only immoral but are disgusting and horrendous acts of cruelty. My stomach is in knots just thinking of all those supposedly “civilized” people in this country who would commit such an appalling crime.

These are some of the most ugly and detestable people and should be severely punished by law. If you are one of my respectful and sensitive readers who does not need lecturing, please report any of these animal abusers to a local humane organization like Animal Friends or the Animal Rescue League.

Slapping a dog on its snout, pulling a cat’s tail and so on are abusive acts. Perhaps someone needs to show you “who’s boss.”

A cat that urinates on the carpet may be suffering from a urinary tract infection, which is extremely painful. Since she cannot have a formal conversation with you, doing this is an unintentional way of allowing you to detect the problem and rush her to the vet before it is too late.

Animals do not intentionally set out to frustrate you. If you don’t believe me, please visit the American Society for Prevention and Cruelty of Animals Web site at www.aspca.org. There are several press releases on file that will shatter the unfortunate myths that have been circulating around our country and others for decades. If you think that cats suffocate babies, this is a site that you need to visit.

All I ask is that, if you own an animal, know that he or she needs food, water, sanitary living conditions, love, respect and veternarian care, just like you need to be cared for by a doctor.

If you cannot meet the above requirements, then you should not have an animal in your care. Please either change or contact one of the humane organizations I listed above. If you are a prospective pet owner and cannot meet these conditions, then don’t get an animal.

I have a few more things to say. Getting a black kitten on Halloween is just about the stupidest and most irresponsible thing you can do. Have better sense than that. Would you just randomly adopt a child on Mother