University undergrads win Beckman research grant

Not many undergraduates get excited about mutated secretory proteins. But then again, not… Not many undergraduates get excited about mutated secretory proteins. But then again, not many students are given nearly $14,000 to study them.

Pitt junior Robert Lee and senior William McCoy IV were selected as the first two Pitt recipients of the Beckman Scholars Fellowship Program, a national program designed to foster scientific research among promising undergraduate students.

Pitt was chosen to give out two grants, each running approximately 15 months, per year for the next three years by the Arnold and Mabel Beckman Foundation. The recipients each receive $5,500 for two summers and $3,600 during the school year.

“Pitt had to show it provided an environment that supported outstanding undergraduate research,” said Dr. Lynne Hunter, a professor of biological sciences. Hunter coordinated interactions between the science departments that ultimately decided on the fellowship recipients, including the departments of biological sciences, chemistry, bioengineering and chemical and petroleum engineering.

Undergraduate students were invited to submit detailed applications, along with a proposal for a study project, a transcript of grades and two letters of recommendation. The selection committee then interviewed the top prospects from that batch. The recipients will each work in a lab under the supervision of a Pitt faculty member.

“I work around 30 to 40 hours a week in the lab,” said Lee, who uses his research to study how proteasome