Pitt is a military friendly school, study says

By Cristina Holtzer / News Writer

Pitt is a 2015 Military Friendly School, according to Victory Media Inc., a Pittsburgh-based military services firm.

Pitt announced in a release Tuesday its reception of the award, which puts the University in the top 15 percent of academic institutions — including universities and trade schools — that are working to advance veteran students in the best ways possible. 

Victory Media based its distinction on academic credibility, financial credibility, financial assistance, nonfinancial military support, veteran enrollment percentage and veteran graduation rates at academic institutions after a post-Sept. 11 G.I. Bill funded more Veterans Affairs initiatives. 

Cristina Ruggiero, associate dean of Pitt’s College of General Studies, which is home to the Office of Veterans Services, said Pitt is proud of this recognition.

“Veterans Services is dedicated to its mission of helping our students in their transition from military to academic life by supporting their ongoing academic success and assisting veterans, guardsmen, reservists, spouses and dependents in receiving their military education benefits,” Ruggiero said in the release. 

Pitt’s Office of Veterans Services, founded in 2009, offers veteran students assistance with pre-admission counseling, scholarship advising, free tutoring and career training assistance, according to its website.

“The University’s commitment to veterans and their families is seen in the wide variety of programs and services we provide through our Office of Veterans Services,” Ruggiero said.