Jimmy John’s experiences security breach

By Cristina Holtzer / News Editor

Anyone who has used credit or debit cards at two Pittsburgh Jimmy John’s locations this summer may want to closely monitor their bank statements.

On Thursday, the national sandwich shop chain released information relating to a security breach at 216 stores this summer. According to the Jimmy John’s release, the company learned that an intruder possibly stole card information from the stores between June 16 and Sept. 5 of this year. Pittsburgh locations affected include the Forbes Avenue location in Oakland and the East Carson Street location in the South Side.

“Cards impacted by this event appear to be those swiped at the stores and did not include those cards entered manually or online,” the release said.

The hacker could have access to card numbers, “and in some cases” cardholder names, verification codes and expiration dates. Information entered on the Jimmy John’s website, including usernames and passwords, remains secure according to the release.

The company learned of the possible break-in on July 30, 2014 and “immediately hired third party forensic experts to assist with its investigation.” The investigation will continue. 

“Jimmy John’s values the privacy and security of its customers’ information, and is offering identity protection services to impacted customers,” the release said. 

Michael, a customer service representative from PNC Bank in Pittsburgh, said concerned PNC customers should keep close watch over their online banking accounts and call their bank as soon as they notice strange charges. PNC will also notify customers if there are strange charges.

“You may get something in the mail if we do identify your card as a compromised card,” he said.

Michael, who declined to give his last name, said that PNC customers with questionable charges on their accounts may have their accounts frozen until the charges are removed.

The full list of Jimmy John’s stores affected by the security breach is available on the company’s website.