Veterans honored at VFW centennial ceremony

By Conor McAteer / Staff Writer

Chancellor Patrick Gallagher hung a wreath near Forbes Avenue yesterday, but Christmas isn’t for nearly another 100 days.

Members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars followed Pitt ROTC students to watch as Gallagher hung a wreath under the VFW plaque on the corner of Forbes Avenue and Bigelow Boulevard to mark the 100th anniversary of the formation of Pittsburgh’s VFW branch. Sept. 14-17 marks the opening of the Pittsburgh sect of the oldest organization of U.S. war veterans in the country.

VFW Senior Vice Commander-in-Chief and Pitt alumnus John A. Biedrzycki Jr. spoke about the organization’s importance.

“The Veterans of Fforeign Wars is about service. It’s about service to veterans,” Biedrzycki said. “It’s about helping our country and the citizens remember the sacrifice made by our veterans.”

The VFW’s aid initiatives include community service, advocating for veterans’ rights and care and acting as a support organization for veterans who have served in foreign wars, according to an information booklet provided at the ceremony.

Biedrzycki, who will command 1.9 million members in 7,000 different VFW units across 18 total countries next year when he takes the role of Commander-in-Chief, said he thought the ceremony was a fitting tribute to Pittsburgh’s first VFW encampment.

“It was a tremendous commemoration of our predecessors, who met in this hotel to come together and stick together to make life better for veterans,” Biedrzycki said.

District Commander John McDowell, who served in Korea from 1967-1970 in the 101st Airborne Division, described the event as “kind of special.” 

“It is an international organization,” McDowell said. “We have posts all over the world. But because this one was founded right here in Pittsburgh, it’s really special.”

Members of Pitt’s ROTC program attended the event.

Cory Hite is a full-time student training to become a second lieutenant in the military. Hite, a freshman biology major, said he enjoyed seeing both present and past members of the United States military come together.

“It was neat to see everyone who had served. And they thanked us,” Hite said. “It was a good experience. I thought it was really cool.”

Following the ceremony, a luncheon for VFW members and their families began at 11:30 a.m. Roughly 125 people attended the event.

With the presence of a new generation of service men and women, Biedrzycki noted the importance of educating young soldiers and aiding those in need of help when they return.

“Generations and generations of Pitt students have gone on to serve this nation, and this University has done the best to educate them,” Biedrzycki said. “We hope that when they return, the University will help them in the transition back into civilian life. And help them get an education. A veteran is a solid person in society.”