Revived from the ashes: Copy Chef returns to TPN

By Ellie Petrosky / Copy Chief

Back with a new byline and a new face — the Copy Chef.

That’s me! Hi, my name is Ellie, and I am here to teach you how to create affordable culinary creations fit for the college student’s palate and wallet.

When I’m not fulfilling my duties as The Pitt News’ copy chief, I can often be found in the kitchen or at least daydreaming about being in the kitchen.

It’s safe to say that cooking is one of my favorite activities.

As a college student with two jobs and a full class schedule, I know how difficult it is to find the time and energy to cook when you get home at the end of the day. Here’s the deal: It’s absolutely worth it to put in the extra half hour — or less — to make a meal, instead of spending incredible amounts of money eating out every night.

As a self-proclaimed connoisseur of the quick and easy meal, it’s my goal to create recipes — and find lifehacks — that make cooking fun and simple. And, of course, to pass my findings on to you.

Growing up, I was lucky enough to have grandparents and a mother who spent a great deal of time in the kitchen. Many of the skills I know are from innumerable hours spent sitting on the counter as a child, holding a mixing spoon in my hand.

That childhood curiosity has turned into an adult love of cooking.

In my columns, I will teach you how to make meals that will be the envy of your friends. 

I’ll prove to you that cooking is something anyone who can read can master, not an inherent skill possessed by only a few lucky individuals.

I’ll show you how to use ingredients you have on your kitchen counter and hidden in your fridge to create a meal worth looking forward to.

I’ll teach you my grocery shopping tricks and tips to keep cooking at home an affordable and easy feat.

I’ll give you pointers on how to make meal prep quick and easy so you can cut down on kitchen time.

Most of all, I’ll show you how much fun cooking can be.

The recipes included in future columns are my own takes on common dishes, discovered and developed over the last two years and adapted to fit with my busy college lifestyle. They will be broken down, explained and easily understandable, so that even the newest cooks can become master chefs.

Have questions about anything kitchen-related? Don’t hesitate to shoot me an email at [email protected]. I’d love to hear from you.

I don’t claim to be an expert in all things gastronomic, but I do intend to be a reliable source of information for any student seeking to flex their culinary biceps.

Much like Chef Gusteau in “Ratatouille,” I believe anyone can cook. Stick with me, and I can give you the tools to become a kitchen whiz.