Pitt erases early mistakes, pulls away from FIU

By Jasper Wilson / Sports Editor

Overcoming a 16-point first quarter deficit, the Pitt football team defeated Florida International University in Miami.

The game on Saturday afternoon featured sloppy play from both sides, with James Conner fumbling twice in the first quarter, Chad Voytik throwing an interception in the second and Florida International scoring two safeties — one of which came from its punter kicking the ball out of the back of the end zone. Pitt cleaned up its play and prevailed behind another strong team rushing effort, 320 yards, to win 42-25.

It was the team’s biggest comeback since 1996.

Pitt (3-0) fell behind with four minutes remaining in the opening quarter when quarterback Voytik was sacked in the end zone for a safety.

Starting with great field position on its next possession, thanks to the resulting Pitt free kick, the home team needed just 34 seconds to score a touchdown.

FIU (1-2), whose mascot isthe Golden Panthers, would quickly add to its total when a subsequent Pitt three and out gave the ball right back to FIU, which capitalized again, scoring on the drive’s second play: a 54-yard aerial combination. The two touchdowns occurred in a span of under three minutes.

But, with the start of the second quarter, the hosts went quiet, while the visitors began to mount their comeback, scoring 26 unanswered points. The home team wouldn’t score again until the fourth quarter.

Voytik would lead the way with his feet, a 34-yard touchdown run by him catapulting Pitt onto the board with just under seven minutes remaining in the half.

He would finish with 113 yards rushing on 12 touches.

A Tyler Boyd touchdown reception later in the period would shrink the gap to two at halftime.

After the break, Pitt would resume scoring when a low snap to FIU’s punter caused him trouble, and he booted the ball out of the back of the end zone, where he was standing, for a safety, instead of risking a potential fumble and touchdown.

A touchdown by Conner and field goal by kicker Chris Blewitt later in the quarter would break the game open for Pitt.

Conner would collect two more scores and end the game with 177 rushing yards.

While the Golden Panthers scored with a little more than three minutes left in the fourth quarter to trail by just 10 points, nothing came of it when their ensuing onside kick was recovered by Pitt.