Getting to Heinz Field on gameday

Veteran Pitt football game attendees may have familiar and trusted strategies for the best routes to and from Heinz Field. 

For newcomers, here’s a rundown of travel options, if you’re not fortunate enough to have a car on campus. 

The simplest way to attend the games is via the free Pitt shuttles that run from Sutherland Hall and the Cathedral of Learning to Heinz Field.

The shuttles begin transportation 3 1/2 hours before kick-off and continue through kick-off. On Saturday, the shuttles will begin departing for the stadium at 8:30 a.m. The shuttles drop students off next to the Great Lawn but, within 90 minutes of game time, they drop students off at Point State Park across the Allegheny River. From there, it’s just a 15-20 minute walk to the game over the Fort Duquesne Bridge. From the end of the first quarter on, the buses also transport students back to campus. 

For students who don’t want to take the shuttles — though free, the shuttles can involve a long wait both to and from the field — there are other options. Take any city bus that goes Downtown — including the 71A or 71C — and get off at the Steel Plaza “T” stop. Go down the stairs, and follow directions for the T line going north and take the light rail to its last stop, Allegheny, which lets off at Heinz Field.​ The first stop for the North Shore and North Side lets off closer to PNC Park and Stage AE, while the last stop exits directly outside of Heinz Field. Riding the T between Downtown and the North Shore is free. 

South Oakland residents can also walk down the hill at the end of Bates Street to the bus stop on Second Avenue across from the Center for Biotechnology and Bioengineering and take the 56 or 58 bus. Get off opposite Municipal Courts Drive, walk a couple of minutes to First Avenue Station and ride the T to Heinz Field. 

Don’t forget your Pitt ID, as it lets you ride free on the buses and is required for admittance into the stadium along with your  ticket.