Track and Field: Runners struggle during day two of Nationals

[Editor’s note: Senior Brycen Spratling came in fourth in the 400 meter final on Friday with a time of 45.49 seconds. He received First Team All-American status for his performance.]

Carvin Nkanata and Micah Murray’s collegiate sports careers have come to an end.

Both seniors, Nkanata and Murray were members of the men’s 4×400 relay team, which failed to qualify for finals.

The 4×400 relay team, consisting of Nkanata, Murray, fellow senior Brycen Spratling and freshman Desmond Palmer, was seeded fifth entering the semifinals and after competition finished 11th with a time of 3:06.61, missing the cut by one second.

Nkanata also didn’t advance from his heat in the 200-meter dash.

He was ranked No. 20 heading into the semifinals on Thursday, placing No. 14 overall with a time of 20.94 seconds. Nkanata missed qualifying for finals by 0.07 seconds. Nkanata’s personal best this season was 20.47 seconds.

Only the top two finishers in each heat advance, followed by the next two fastest times overall in the event.

Although Nkanata and the 4×400-meter relay team did not advance to the finals, the foursome did receive second team All-American status with their time.

Spratling is the only Panther left in competition for a national title. He will compete in the 400-meter dash final at 8:50 p.m.EST on Friday.

You can watch the final events of the championship and awards ceremony live on ESPNU and ESPN3.