Enough talk: national action must be taken to address mental illness

By Matt Barnes

In recent years, the role of the federal government in Americans’ lives has expanded. This expansion has prompted a national dialogue on the role and size of the government in American society. And still, despite the government’s growing presence, little comprehensive action has been taken on a sensitive, but extremely important matter — mental health.

Too often, mental health has been considered taboo or of less significance than more observable medical issues. The time has come to be honest about the inadequacies of our current health system and not only talk about them, but also directly address them.

Since 1955, the total United States population has risen from about 165 million to 315 million. But in that time, the number of psychiatric beds available for inpatient care has declined from 500,000 to 40,000.

Yet, roughly 11 million American adults suffer from a severe mental illness, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or major depression. Furthermore, approximately 20 percent of children ages 13 to 18 deal with a severe mental disorder in a given year. And, although veterans make up less than one percent of the total population, they account for about 20 percent of suicides each year. To combat these harsh realities, bold action is required.

H.R. 3717, better known as the Helping Families in Mental Health Crisis Act, is legislation recently introduced by Congressman Tim Murphy, R-Pa. The congressman is a Pittsburgh clinical psychologist who received his Ph.D. from the University of Pittsburgh. His bill has been praised by the National Alliance on Mental Illness Board President Keris Myrick as “the most comprehensive mental health bill we’ve seen in a long, long time.”

The bill addresses a lack of care for major mental illnesses. For instance, of the 11 million adults with severe mental disorders in America, 2 million go untreated. This hole in the system is a detriment to all, including and most specifically the patient.

Congressman Murphy’s act proposes funding for clinics that meet scientifically supported standards, funding for suicide prevention as well as increased training for police officers and emergency medical workers to help them better identify and treat individuals with mental disorders. In addition, the act suggests that payments be made to Medicaid in order to provide the underprivileged with better mental health services.

The bill also tackles the increased need for care and assistance at the pediatric level. According to Murphy’s website, “Signs of mental illness first appear in a person between the ages of 14 and 25. However, there is a critical shortage of child psychiatrists.” Therefore, H.R. 3717 “would encourage pediatricians to undergo additional training in mental health care.”

As the legislative process transpires around this bill, Americans should think about the importance of action on this topic. Too often,tragic events stimulate reflection. And once that reflection occurs, it is too late. The goal of action should be to prevent tragedies, not be reminded by them, and to help the largest population of those afflicted possible. In order to achieve progress, we must act proactively, not reactively.

Mental illness and the state of mental health care in this country cannot be put aside. Action must be taken at the national level in order to attempt to aid those suffering from severe mental disorders. And if we see the passage of H.R. 3717, we as a nation can finally take our first real step towards bettering mental health.  

Write Matt at [email protected].