Opinion | I graduate in two weeks — a thank-you to my best friend
By Nada Abdulaziz, Staff Writer • 12:57 am

Outdoor movies in Pittsburgh: A guide

All you need is a blanket and some buttery popcorn to enjoy one of Pittsburgh’s best — and free — summer traditions.

Every summer, the City of Pittsburgh hosts a series of outdoor movies called Cinema in the Park. Screenings take place on Sundays and Wednesdays at dusk in Pittsburgh’s seven major parks, including Schenley Park in Oakland, Arsenal Park in Lawrenceville and Grandview Park in Mt. Washington, among others. This year’s Cinema in the Park, funded by Dollar Bank, runs from June 7 to Aug. 30.

“It’s a great way to get the drive-in experience without having to find those rare drive-in theaters,” Brian Katze, Citiparks special events manager, said.

The program started in the mid-70s, according to Katze. Originally, Flagstaff Hill was the only location.

Program coordinator Chris Bashur added that at first, actual film reels were used during the showings, then VHS, DVD and eventually Blu-Ray. It was meant as a way to engage the community and has been successful in its goal ever since.

“It provides a very good opportunity for residents to come out and enjoy a movie under the stars,” Bashur said.

Bashur works with Swank Motion Pictures and Criterion Pictures to obtain the licenses to play the films for the public. Part of this deal prevents Cinema in the Park from showing movies that are currently out in theaters, to avoid direct competition, according to Katze.

Bashur selects the films to play throughout the summer, partly in collaboration with Mayor Bill Peduto’s Welcoming Pittsburgh Initiative and the Spark! Film Series. The Mayor’s initiative, which he announced in June, aims to promote a better quality of life and economic wellbeing for both immigrants and natives.

The initiative is part of Welcoming America, a national project which works to increase mutual respect between Americans born both in the U.S. and in other countries. This particular series is meant to “spark conversations in the community about minorities and civil rights,” Bashur said.

Cinema in the Park chose six of the featured movies for the 2015 line-up for this purpose: Million Dollar Arm, The Refugees of Shangri-La, Cesar Chavez, Selma, McFarland, USA and Cantinflas.

“We try to do a mix, including the Spark! Series, ranging from popcorn blockbusters to classics, and different genres from action to comedy,” Bashur said. “We try to pick a wide variety for people to enjoy.”

Wednesdays in Schenley Park also feature musical guests before each movie begins. Artists usually seek out the program on their own. Katze said organizers try to give local bands an opportunity to perform.

Autumn Beulah, who attended her first Cinema in the Park movie in late June, was drawn to the movie more than the musical performances — her movie choice, The Boxtrolls.

Beulah, a senior majoring in health and physical activity and psychology, said the combination of the outdoors and the movie attracted her to the event.

According to Katze, both the movies and their affordability bring people out to the parks.

“Since it’s free, it allows families who want to go out to dinner and a movie to do so even if they might not have the means,” Katze said.