Turning Point USA speaker Kristan Hawkins draws protest
By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am
By Julia Smeltzer, Digital Manager • 2:23 am

By Emma Hannan and Kyra McCague 8:57 am

Rambling on: Three summer road trips for those who need a quick change of scene

“Do you like Spoon?”

It was a Thursday morning at roughly 9:30 when I groggily awoke to a text message staring at me from the glowing screen.

I mean, I knew “The Underdog” but hardly any other songs. Still sleepy, I responded “not really, why,” and lied back down, content with my thoughts of a boring day ahead.

My phone then illuminated with an incoming call.

Not three hours later, my friend and I hit the open road, en route to Buffalo for a free concert and a spontaneous, exciting weekend.

The trip reminded me that outside the streets of Oakland — made insufferable thanks to zombie college pedestrians who saunter across — driving is a really enjoyable activity. Well, at least if there aren’t any speed traps ahead.

But more than that, I experienced a great feeling of independence from the spontaneity of the trip. Knowing I could, theoretically, just leave everything behind for a day, a weekend, or more, means I know I still control my life. I’m free to live it open ended.

So, if you’re like me and you’re looking for fun and freedom, here are three destinations for any ramblin’ person with a car and a passion for adventure.

1. Buffalo, New York

Three-and-a-half hours away lies a city a lot like Pittsburgh — transitioning from rust belt relic to a modern metropolis. While some still see Pittsburgh as a smoggy steel city covered in a layer of industrial waste, we Pitt students know better. Similarly, Buffalo exceeds expectations, so gear up for a nice highway drive and a day of music and great food in Western New York.

The best time to visit would be on a Thursday for one of the free concerts at Canalside Park. Built on the waterfront, the park has a beautiful view of Lake Erie and downtown Buffalo. It’s worth the drive — especially considering some of the upcoming shows — including Reel Big Fish (July 23), Iron & Wine (July 30), and Umphrey’s McGee (Aug. 6).

If the Fourth of July left you feeling a little militaristic, there is also the Buffalo and Erie County Naval and Military Park, which features three World War II vintage warships. Posing on top of a giant gun turret may just earn you a like from that conservative friend from high school who posts Facebook statuses in defense of the Confederate flag.

With such a long drive, you might be left a little hungry. So make sure to get yourself some Buffalo wings or a beef on weck at a local restaurant — my friend and I stopped at Duff’s. And make sure you have plenty of napkins to spare.

It’s an easy trip overall. Take Interstate Highway 79 north out of Pittsburgh to Interstate Highway 90 east, and you’re there. Warning though, that mortal enemy of the thrifty driver — tolls — must be paid on I-90.

2. Fallingwater

Just an hour from Pittsburgh, Fallingwater is one of architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s most famous structures. The site is open every day except Wednesday — which is good to know because a ticket is required, and it costs more at the gate. Don’t worry though — admission includes a guided tour of the building, which is more than worth the $20 pricetag.

Seeing how Wright delicately built the mansion into the rocks and stream making up the grounds without harming any of its natural beauty gives the visitor a glimpse into Wright’s thought process. This same balance can even be seen in the furniture, which Wright also designed. If a chunk of a table has been taken out to allow a window to open, then you know that chunk will show up elsewhere. Once you’ve visited,looking at a cliché exterior photograph of the house will never be a substitute.

Taking the Pennsylvania Turnpike and paying its toll — a necessary evil — is your best option. But if you have time — or don’t fear getting lost — meander through the back roads and maybe you’ll find some more places worth stopping for. A farm stand is always a nice way to save a few bucks and get fresh produce.

And if you get lost, at least you’ll have provisions.

3. Cherry Springs State Park

This trip is the longest at close to four hours, but to make the most of it you’d have to stay overnight. If you love feeling thoroughly insignificant, then the trip will be well worth it. At Cherry Springs State Park in Northern Pennsylvania you’ll be able to see see over 10,000 stars — and the Milky Way. That’s because it is one of only four dark sky parks, as named by the International Dark-Sky Association, east of the Mississippi.

Whether you’re a serious stargazer with a telescope or someone only looking for a night of introversion under a beautiful night sky, the park caters to both with normal campgrounds along with special dark sky viewing fields with shelters for telescopic viewing. With the dark sky comes a very serene isolation making a great escape from the congested city life.

To get there, get on Pennsylvania Route 28 — just take Interstate 279 north from Downtown to the first exit — until St. Marys. After that, you’ll want Pennsylvania Routes 120, 155, 607, 872 and finally 44. A bit windy, but as it travels through the northern portion of Susquehannock State Park, the roadside views will be enjoyable.

Of course, you could also just roll the windows down, blast some music and look out on the open road ahead, letting the wind take you wherever you wish. Might I suggest Spoon? Turns out they are pretty good.

Stephen Caruso is a columnist who writes on social and economic issues for The Pitt News. He is also the Layout Editor.

Write to Stephen at [email protected].