People sit inside of Redhawk Coffee on Meyran Avenue.

Pitt student passes away over weekend

Victor Firman, a Pitt senior from Connecticut, died on Sunday. He was 22.

According to the Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office, Firman’s roommate called emergency responders to 3614 Bates St. in Oakland at 5:23 p.m.

Medics found Firman unresponsive in his apartment. He was pronounced dead at the scene at 5:35 p.m.

“We are saddened by the sudden passing of Victor Firman and want to extend our deepest sympathies to his family and friends,” said Kenyon Bonner, vice provost and interim Dean of Students.

The medical examiner will determine the cause of death after conducting a toxicology report, which he said could take several weeks. Pittsburgh police said they do not suspect wrongdoing or foul play in Firman’s death.

Danny Gorsky, a former Pitt student and friend of Firman, said he was a very loving, inspirational person.

“He was someone I saw qualities in that I wanted to emulate,” Gorsky, 21, said. “He always said ‘Be yourself. If you be yourself, you’ll be comfortable, and if you’re comfortable, that’s something that’s attractive,’

That year, Firman showed Gorsky around Pittsburgh, including a restaurant in Polish Hill where the two played pool and pinball together.

Firman was a psychology major and acted as a constant source of advice for Gorsky.

“He’s going to be remembered for his positive qualities, his empathy. He wanted to be a therapist,” Gorsky said. “I think he would have been good at it.”

Friends and family seeking counseling can contact the University Counseling Center at 412-648-7930.

Those who wish to honor Firman’s memory are encouraged to email [email protected] for a later tribute.

Editor’s Note: It is always difficult for a newspaper to report a student’s passing, but to prevent misinformation about this tragedy, The Pitt News feels obligated to do so.