President Joe Biden speaks on Friday at Carnegie Mellon University’s Mill 19 to tout his administration’s investment in infrastructure.
President Biden set to visit Pittsburgh this afternoon
By Brian Sherry, Contributing Editor • April 17, 2024
SGB hosts last meeting of the school year 
By Emma Hannan, Staff Writer  • April 17, 2024
Satire | A better use for editorial space
By Anna Ehlers, Contributing Editor • April 17, 2024

Cinema city: A guide to Pittsburgh’s movie theaters

On behalf of Pittsburgh, we formally invite you to stop scrolling through a disappointing assortment of Netflix movies, put on some pants and go to the theater.

The city has become a hub for filmmakers and appreciators alike. For filmmakers, the Commonwealth offers a 25 percent tax break for films that shoot and spend a minimum of 60 percent oftheir production budget in the state, the likes of which has recently attracted some big names — Aaron Paul,Vin Diesel and Batman.

For movie-lovers or indifferent first-daters, Pittsburgh’s theater list is long and full of incentives. Both The Manor Theatre in Squirrel Hill and Row House Cinema in Lawrenceville boast full bars and screenings of foreign, classic and avant-garde films.

The more orthodox sort of local theaters are the SouthSide Works Cinema and mega multiplex AMC Loews Theater at The Waterfront. Both offer the usual amenities: commercial blockbuster screenings and jumbo-sized sodas and popcorn.

To get to SouthSide Works Cinema from Oakland, take a 20-minute bus ride on the 75 inbound from Fifth Avenue — which drops you off right at the SouthSide Works. Or, if you’re in no hurry, enjoy a scenic walk over the Hot Metal Bridge. Evening shows cost students $8.95, while weekday matinees are $6 and weekend matinees are $7.

If giant theaters and the latest Dolby sound technology, IMAX and 3D screenings are your thing, take a half hour trip on the 61D outbound from Forbes Avenue to the AMC Loews Theater at The Waterfront.Prices vary between $7.49 for a no-frills afternoon matinee and $12.99 for an evening screening of an IMAX movie during the weekend.

The closest theater to campus, offering a variety of blockbusters, independent, foreign and art films is The Manor Theatre, established in 1992 and located in Squirrel Hill.Any of the 61 buses outbound along Forbes Avenuewill get you there in 15 minutes. In addition to the flick, you can enjoy a full range of cocktails or craft beers.

The Manor was renovated in 2012 to add a bar to its swanky lobby, and upgrade its digital video and sound technology. In October, The Manor offers “Manor at Midnight,” which plays beloved horror movies like “The Shining” and “The Exorcist.” Matinees cost $6.50, weekday evening showings cost students $7 and weekend evening showings charge students $8.

Similarly, Lawrenceville is home to Row House Cinema, where you can watch a movie — or four — while enjoying a taco from Smoke Barbeque Taqueria, located in the same building as the theater.Every week, Row House Cinema screens four films that relate to a common theme. This August kicked off with the theme of teen spirit, and featured films like “Clueless” and “Bring It On.” To experience all that Row House Cinema has to offer, take a 93 outbound bus from Fifth Avenue. Matinees cost $6, and students only have to pay $8 for an evening screening.

The cinema, located on Butler Street in central Lawrenceville, is complete with a bar and food menu that includes 500 different bottled beers, 19 drafts, 40 craft sodas, naturally salted popcorn and kale chips.

Whether you want to attend a guilty pleasure rom-com matinee by yourself at the SouthSide Works Cinema, or pass up a weekend party to enjoy a quadruple-feature marathon while drinking at Row House Cinema, Pittsburgh will exceed your movie needs.