People sit inside of Redhawk Coffee on Meyran Avenue.

Lights, camera, homecoming: Pitt’s Blue and Gold Society announced applications for homecoming court

Last year’s homecoming king and queen. Photo: Courtesy of Zheru Liu

Pitt’s homecoming candidates now have the chance to go viral.

One of Pitt’s annual Homecoming traditions, Pitt’s Blue and Gold Society has opened up the running for Homecoming King and Queen candidates, only this year, the Society is encouraging candidates to submit personal videos as a part of their applications. For the first time, candidates can submit a three-minute video to catch the attention of the student body.  Student Alumni Asssociation, Pitt Alumni Association and the Blue and Gold Society will post the videos on their social media accounts, according to Ben Schultz, the vice president of traditions for the Society.

Schultz said he wanted to implement the video option this year to increase student participation.

“I just want to get the whole campus involved,” Shultz, a senior finance and business information systems major said. “Viral is the goal.”

According to the Blue and Gold Society’s website, each person who applies for Homecoming court must attend several meetings and follow “strict guidelines” in order to remain eligible for the race, including maintaining a 2.5 GPA, acquring a student organization sponsor and following a tight timeline for campaigning. All applications are due Sept. 29 at 10 a.m.

Just as before, students will vote for Homecoming King and Queen on the Homecoming tab of the My Pitt portal, where students will find a bio profile for each contestant. Voting opens on Thursday, Oct. 8, at noon and will be open for 24 hours.  This year, the video will also appear on the candidate’s biography profile alongside their personal statement describing why each candidate is “proud to be a part of the University of Pittsburgh.” 

On Friday, Oct. 9, Blue and Gold Society will announce the top five candidates at the Homecoming Laser and Fireworks Show. These five candidates make up the Homecoming court. The Blue and Gold Society will announce the King and Queen at the Homecoming football game on Saturday, Oct. 10, against the University of Virginia.

In order to be eligible to run for Homecoming court, an applicant must be a current, full-time student at the Pittsburgh campus and be in good standing with the University. Applicants are sponsored by a Student Organization Resource Center-recognized organization, excluding Student Government Board. They can also have a second sponsor outside of the University, such as a bar or restaurant. There is a $50 fee to run for Homecoming court to cover the Blue and Gold Societies operating costs.

Although campaigning officially begins on Thursday, Oct. 1, contestants cannot distribute flyers or handouts until Oct. 7. All giveaways must cost less than $1. Candidates can distribute T-shirts prior to the beginning of the campaign, but no one can wear the shirts until Oct. 1. If contestants do not follow these rules, they will not be eligible for the race.

The winning king and queen must participate in Pitt Make a Difference Day on Oct. 24, 15 days after the Homecoming game. They will have other obligations throughout the school year that the Blue and Gold Society has not yet announced.