Kamalani Akeo talks with members of the womens volleyball coaching staff in 2021.
Kamalani Akeo: An unsung hero contributing to the success of Pitt volleyball
By Matthew Scabilloni, Senior Staff Writer • 10:10 am

Pitt men’s soccer shut out by Boston College

Patrick+Dixon%2C+one+of+Pitts+midfielders%2C+had+two+shots+on+goal+against+Boston+College.+Jeff+Ahearn+%7C+Assistant+Visual+Editor+
Patrick Dixon, one of Pitt’s midfielders, had two shots on goal against Boston College. Jeff Ahearn | Assistant Visual Editor

The Panthers’ scoring drought continued Saturday night at Newton Field in Newton, Massachusetts.

Pitt (3-2-1, 0-2-0 ACC) fell to Boston College (4-2-1, 1-1-0 ACC) 2-0 in its second consecutive loss to a conference opponent this season.

Both teams rifled eight shots on goal and six corner attempts, but for the second straight game, Pitt failed to tally a goal. To Pitt head coach Joe Luxbacher, the teams were equally matched — even if the final score says otherwise.

“It was a completely even game. The effort was good, we just have to find a way to win these games,” Luxbacher said.

Senior goalie and team captain Dan Lynd said the way to “win these games” is by starting stronger.

“We started a little slow … that’s something we can easily control, starting games better,” Lynd said. “We played hard the whole time, we had chances.”

Boston College’s Trevor Davock scored the first goal of the game and his third of the year, assisted by Isaac Normesinu and Simon Enstrom. From then on, the Panthers tried to play catch-up but ultimately fell short.

Idrissa Bangura scored the second goal of the game — his second of the season — in the 66th minute off an assist from Davock.

While Pitt had more offensive success than in their last game against Wake Forest — where Pitt managed only one shot — they still didn’t score a goal.

“It’s very frustrating, but it’s a long season. I don’t think [tonight’s loss] is something to hang our heads over.”

Six different Panthers registered shots on goal, and senior midfielder Patrick Dixon led Pitt with two against Boston College. Dixon recorded the only shot on goal last weekend.

Pitt played a much more disciplined match this week, catching six fouls in comparison to Boston College’s 16, including 14 in the second half.

“They were chasing the game the second half,” Luxbacher said. “We were playing pretty well, but at the end of the day, we didn’t get the goal or two that we had chances to get, and they did.”

Pitt has struggled through early conference play and significant injuries to its back field, including freshman center midfielder Kyle Brathwaite. Brathwaite was injured during Saturday’s game and won’t be available for Tuesday’s match against Robert Morris University. However, there remains a sense of diligence and determination within the Panthers.

“I think the biggest thing for us is staying positive,” sophomore midfielder Raj Kahlon said. “We started the season off strong — especially against Lehigh. We just got to focus on playing our game, on coming out strong and getting the first goal.”

Brathwaite is the second Pitt defender to suffer an injury in three weeks — Senior Stephane Pierre is still sidelined with a nagging ankle injury he suffered Sept. 6, against St. Peters.

“It’s tough because both injuries are to our two center backs, the spine to the team.” Kahlon said. “We gotta pick up the slack, I think we can come back from it.”

Saturday night was a disappointment for a battered Pitt Panther squad still searching for their first ACC victory in program history.

“It’s frustrating. We were really hoping to get this game, it was an even game,” Kahlon said. “It’s very frustrating, but it’s a long season. I don’t think [tonight’s loss] is something to hang our heads over.”

The Panthers will return to action Tuesday night at Ambrose Urbanic Field against RMU. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.